Premed 101 Forums

applying during second degree

Guest hippo

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there tantastic,

Yep, you're right on the money on a number of fronts--it's the final year that must be A-, and not the cumulative GPA else I probably would have been oot o' luck! (I completed a 3 year B.Sc., then the MBA, then went back last year to "upgrade" my B.Sc. to an Honours to open the path to academic research.) This A- is primarily to satisfy the wants of the School of Graduate Studies. They give you the all-clear and then the Dept. of Public Health Sciences evaluates your file. Their application is akin to that of a med school application as it includes a letter of intent (essay), etc.

Are you seriously considering an Epi program? If so, good on ya; there are lots of options to explore: clinical epi, demographics, communicable disease, international health, etc., and all the courses to match each sub-discipline.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest sally2001

hey,

i don't know how i missed this thread earlier. i had a look at the clinicalepi homepage and it says the minimum gpa is a mid-b average (73-76%). so does this a- requirement mean you need it to be more competitive and you actually have a better chance of getting in? to reply to another question somewhere in this thread, 5 graduate courses a term is insanity (in my opinion) and i'm awestruck over anyone who can actually get that done! i had 3 last term, in a different faculty (eng) and i had.. well a hard time. it was pretty stressful.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi sally2001,

The Clin. Epi. and Epi. programs at UofT (I'm not sure if you were referring to the UofT Clin. Epi. program in your post) are run by separate departments and thus, may have different requirements. For Clin. Epi. they are hesitant to let you in unless you already have a professional medical degree, e.g., MD, OT, PT, RN, etc. The Epi. program does not have the professional degree requirement, but the academic bar is set a little higher for admissions purposes.

There's a lot of flexibility to be had though if you're interested in clin. epi. issues as you can enrol in the Epi. program, tackle a clin. epi.-type thesis and take clin. epi.-based courses along with the more general epi. courses (which is what I'm doing). The two sets of experiences provide a good mix of knowledge and some great background tailored to your interests.

As to a five graduate course courseload, I can't begin to describe how precious spare time becomes! A fabulous learning experience though and QUITE different from undergrad (and even an MBA) in so many ways.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest sally2001

kirsteen, thanks for your detailed response. you're right, it was the clinical epi program i found on through the search engine. after some more googling, i found the epi site. your posts are great, very informative. best of luck to you.

Archived