Premed 101 Forums

3 or 4 Year Program?

Guest Madulla

Guest Madulla

Hey all,

What is the difference between the 3 and 4 year programs in Canada? I noticed only UofC and Mac have 3 year programs, I was wondering if it's simply a difference in term length (ie. longer school year). Or do the 4 year programs actually offer an additional year of clerkship. If they do, how does that impact your residency?

Thanks!

I think that both programs are pretty equivalent in amounts of actual 'teaching' time. At UWO, we have a four year program but we have summers off in both first and second year (no classes in most of June, July and August). At Mac, they go for the full year...ie Sept-Aug. So, they aren't losing any teaching time, they just do some of it in the summer while the four year programs are on 'vacation'.

There is no difference in terms of residency. All Canadian schools have a good reputation....you certainly won't be limited in terms of residency match by going to Mac vs UofT or UWO.

Guest Ian Wong

The most important thing to do is research on each school to see which one best fits your learning style, living arrangements, etc. There's lots of good information on each med school in the forums below.

A huge advantage of the 3 year program is getting out a year earlier; save on a year of tuition, start earning a physician's income a year earlier. This may be particularly important for older applicants who may have already spent many years in university, or held down jobs, or just want to enter the workforce ASAP. The converse disadvantage is that you have one less year to decide what specialty/specialties you are interested in pursuing.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Archived