Premed 101 Forums

Done highschool, what to do now?

Guest dave927

Guest dave927

Hello, I just finished my high school exams a week ago and I'm not coming back for second semester since I have completed all the prerequisites. Currently, I'm preparing for 4 AP exams and trying to get a job in order to keep myself busy. However, I feel that I am a bit lacking in my English skills and wish to improve this before university starts. I want to do this in order to prepare for the MCAT writing section, which I know will be the most difficult part for me. Does anybody know of any effective method of approaching this problem?

Also, does anybody have any good suggestions of ways to keep myself busy which may help me in my medical future (if I ever do get there :) ).

Thanks!

David

Guest macdaddyeh

My advice: take a vacation! Although I am half joking, half serious, you may want to consider this option. You've worked hard. Why not volunteer for an overseas experience of some sort; alot of premeds have done that and it will always be looked upon favourably. Of course you've gotta have $$$$$:P

Okay, I definitely didn't even know what the MCATs were when I was in high school... Anyways...

Seriously, though, it's too early to be worrying about the MCATs. If you think that you have weak English skills, then improve them! But don't target your improvement at writing some silly test several years from now. Strong reading, writing and communication skills are WAY more important for themselves than for acing the MCATs. It's easy to do well on the MCAT writing sample by taking a course, learning the format that's expected, and practicing it. The same can't be said for learning how to write well in general.

I'm no expert on improving English skills -- I'm sure if you search the web you'll find tons of resources. But the core of all of them will be the same - read, and read a lot. Set aside time every day to read. Read things that are challenging. Write, and write a lot. Set up your own 'blog. Find a 'zine to contribute to. Keep a journal. Do whatever is fun!!! :)

Oh, for the days that I was _looking_ for things to do with my time..... ;)

Guest therealcrackers

One of the best things you can do is read. Read widely, from Asimov to Zuckerman, Atwood to Whitman. Increase your feel for the language, its nuances, subtleties and possibilities. It's best done in a positive environment. Maui comes to mind, but that's me... But the more widely you have read, the more you can draw upon for your writing and reading comprehension. The MCATs are a good two and a half years away at your stage... you could have read half a thousand books by then, or written half a dozen. And have fun!

Guest dave927

I might be able to go to a trip to Guyana to do some volunteer work actually, and I'm applying for a job at Chapters :) .

Thanks everybody, I was extremely worried when school was done because I didn't know what to do.

David Nguyen

Guest Namgalsip

Hey Dave,

Wow, I wouldn't know where to start. I went to Costa Rica with YCI and it was a truly life changing experience. As the name suggests you will go through immense challenges and will develop in ways that you could never anticipate. The culture, the people, the life style, the work and most of all, your group, will present you with opportunities to learn and grow beyond any you can find here. I only have positive things to say about the program and I really hope you get to experience it for your self. If you have any specific questions about it, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Enjoy it (even the hard times), and good luck.

Nams

Guest PerfectMoment

i just went to their site and it says something about me having to pay my way there and that i'd have to pay for various things when im IN the country... how does one pay for this stuff? is there any way that someone who isn't quite wealthy can afford to pay for this? thanks

Guest Namgalsip

There is indeed, and I'm living proof. Technically, this experience is not supposed to cost you a penny, but it does cost a lot of time and effort. YCI (which is a registered charity) strongly recommends that you fundraise ALL the necessary costs (this they call "challenge #1"). It can be quite difficult but definitely possible (I DID IT!).

Once you get to your community, you should not have to spend ANY money. Food, transportation, and accommodations (which are as minimal as can be...no beds, and in my case, no toilet, running water, or even 4 walls) are covered. The only time you would need money is if you wanted to buy stuff while you're there (candy, ice cream, etc...you'll be living on rice and beans most of the time) although my community was so remote that we had nowhere to buy anything.

What I'm trying to get at is that you don't need any financial resources to be able to participate. There are people on the program that paid for the entire thing themselves, but I feel like they didn't get the full experience.

Once again, I recommend this program to everyone. It is an incredible experience.

Nams

Guest PerfectMoment

is there anyway i can contact you outside of this forum? i'm really interested in doing something outside of canada. i've considered doing some missions stuff with some mennonite organizations but i feel that the time commitment on the foreign missions assignments are either too short - at 1 month - or too long, at a year long. i'd really like to know more in depth about YCI and the experiences. thanks

Guest Namgalsip

Hey PerfectMoment,

The general YCI program is approx. 3 month overseas (with approx 3-6 months of prep before hand, which you can do while in school although it is very time consumming, especially if you're fundraising).

If you give me your email, I'll be happy to email you with more information about the program and my own experience.

l8r,

Nams

Guest tappety tap

Just to let you know,

If you wanna bypass doing an undergrad degree all together, you can apply to medical school in Ireland (and maybe other places too?) directly from High school. It's a 6 year program if you do that, and you do need MCATs for some of them (though not all). Only downfall, pretty expensive. Just thought you'd like to know!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest kernelhoover

I also went down to Guyana with YCI. Although the availability of health related activities is quite variable the experience was definitely a rewarding one. If you'd like more info about YCI I'd also be happy to give you some. My email is makhla@hotmail.com

Archived