Premed 101 Forums

Premed Course Selection

Guest Rome1

Guest Rome1

I had a question about selecting courses for next year. Is there a certain limit to the amount of first year courses that I can take?

Next year, I have space for two electives, for which i am planning on taking two first year courses. Do med schools have any rules about the amount of first year courses that i can take while I am in second year ( I am in first year now)? I think i read something about it in one of the school's website, but when I went to look back, I really didn't find anything on it. If anyone know how this works, i would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Guest mitchie41

No, I don't think there are any limits on the amount of first year courses you can take. However, this differs from school to school. For instance, I remember reading somewhere that at U of T, you can't take more than 6 full first year courses if you want to graduate after taking 20 courses(www.artsandscience.utoron...gree.htm).

Guest calvindog

Generally speaking there are few, in any, limitations for taking first year courses during your second year at University.

Keep in mind that many people are taking first year course even in there fourth year just to fill electives. There are limitations, however, to take third year courses in your second year sometimes. These limitations are usually expressed in the pre-req section of the course listing in the University calender.

I found that in my second year I was taking 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd year courses. This continues today in my fourth year.

Hope this helps

Guest aneliz

Most universities will give a maximum number of credits that you can have at the first year level in a single degree....I think that this was something like 7.0 or 8.0 at Guelph where I did my undergrad.

Most med schools expect that you are doing course work that is appropriate to your year level. For example, UofT stipulates that 60% of the courses in a year should correspond to your year level. (or at least they did when I applied). At UWO, you need TWO full time years that are above the GPA minimum to be eligible. ONE of these years must have 3/5 credits that are second year or higher. So, while there is no specific limits on taking first year courses in second or third or fourth year...you can't do two whole years of first year courses and use them both to meet the GPA requirement at UWO. Only one of the years could be used. I do recall there being some kind of issue involving taking first year courses after first year and then applying to Mac during your third year...maybe one of the Mac moderators can clarify that point.

Good luck!

Guest Lactic Folly

How important is U of T's 60% guideline.. is it a great detriment to your application if you didn't have that in one of your years?

Thanks

Archived