Premed 101 Forums

Choosing Courses

Guest EMHC

I know that for UBC med. you need Chem 205, 233 and 235 (physical and organic chemistry and lab respectively). I've heard from many individuals that these courses really pull down your averages. I'm a first year Commerce student and and we can't pick our major until 3rd year. The major that I want to get into is extremely competitive and entrance is based solely on grades (I guess that goes for almost all majors). Anyway, should I take the courses above in second year whereby I'm putting a little risk in getting into my intended major or should I leave the courses till 3rd year when I'm in my major. By delaying the Chem courses till 3rd year means that I won't be able to take BIOC 300 till 4th year when I'm applying and I'll have to write my MCAT without the preperation of BIOC 300.

Can anyone give me any advice, please?

Guest not rex morgan

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you that I took the MCAT before I took Bioc 300. You don't need it for the MCAT, so if that's your major worry, you're fine. Organic Chem actually pulled my average up, but you know yourself better than anyone. As a word of caution, look into your chosen major to determine if you will have the flexibility to take these courses. I'm sure you have, but I wasn't increadibly organised in undergrad and I could see myself banking on flexibility that wasn't there.

Archived