Premed 101 Forums

To Summervirus

Guest EMHC

I remember reading on one of the threads that you wrote the MCAT and was not quite as hard because you had IB Chemistry. Does the IB Chemistry HL cirriculum include enough material in organic chemistry to cover what's needed on the MCAT?

As well, what year did you write yoru IB Chem exam?

EMHC

Guest summervirus

Hiya, in highschool, I took the HL chemistry program and one of our options that we chose to specialize in was organic chemistry. So, we covered a fair bit. I wrote my HL chem exam at the end of grade 12 and one year later, I wrote the MCAT.

I think you'll find that the level of organic chemistry covered by the MCAT isn't too detailed. They test you on big concepts.

I also had a classmate/friend that wrote his MCAT right after highschool (grade 12) and he did fine.

one thing to keep in mind.... in the past organic comprised approximately 40% of the bio section, but they were planning on changing the bio section this april (2003) to contain less organic and more genetics questions.

Guest aneliz

Not going to be that significant...they are removing three of the old 'potential' organic topics and adding a couple of potential genetics questions...

Actual change on the exam will be the replacement of ONE organic chem passage with ONE genetics passage....

Guest aneliz

Not one question...ONE PASSAGE....(so about 5-6 questions)

ONE organic PASSAGE (and accompanying questions) will be replaced with ONE genetics PASSAGE (and accompanying questions). They have also removed a few (I believe three) topics from the organic chem list of possible topics...this does not necessarily mean that it will effect every version of the MCAT (because not every eligible topic is tested on every version of the test)...but those three topics will no longer be eligible to be on ANY new versions of the MCAT...

I am sure that this is very clear right?? ;) :lol

Archived