Premed 101 Forums

3rd year marks

Guest ninjapunk

Guest ninjapunk

Hey all,

I'm just finishing up my second year of Literature at Waterloo. If I apply this coming October, will my GPA for Fall 2003 be considered? The reason i ask is, up until this point I've been taking a lot of science courses to meet pre-reqs but I'll be getting heavy-duty into English next year; and unbeknownst to many a sci major it is *nearly* impossible to get a 90 in an English course.

Many thanks,

Guest UWOMED2005

I don't think the GPA will be considered for most schools, other than making a minimum cutoff. It would be practically impossible to factor the GPA in as they won't have access to it until after most decisions have been made.

And don't worry too much if you can't get all 90s - a solid GPA composed of 'A-' and 'A' marks should suffice, if you get the odd 'A+' (they are much rarer in arts than science courses) that is a bonus, and you might even have some leeway, though not much though, to get the odd 'B+.' Usually marks in the 3.7-3.8 range will get you a decent shot at an offer of admission, but obviously anything you get above that can't hurt!

Guest therealcrackers

At UWO, they will consider your two best years of undergraduate work, provided you will have completed a minimum of three full years at 5.0 course load/yr (Sept to Apr; co-op programs can present a problem and anyone in that boat should ask the admissions people). In the HYPOTHETICAL CASE that you had applied for this cycle, ie the class of 2007, and your GPA in your first two years had been above 3.70 in both years, with a certain number of senior level courses, you would have received an interview. If one year out of your first two had been above 3.70, you would have received an interview, and a potential acceptance would be dependent on your maintaining a 3.70 GPA in your third year (otherwise, the acceptance could be rescinded).

For next year, the GPA cutoff will not be known until the applicant pool is assessed, so about the end of January 2004. Your GPA for the fall of 2003 would not likely be included in that because your marks would not reach OMSAS and the schools before the GPA determination for interviews is made at Western. If you have one year above that cut-off point out of your first two, you will likely get an interview at UWO, but you will have to maintain a GPA above that cut-off point with a certain number of senior courses next year to secure a place if you are offered acceptance. If you have both years above next year's cut-off, and have taken a certain number of senior courses, then you will likely get an interview as well. I hope that isn't too confusing. Best thing to do is keep the GPA as high as you can (80-84 = 3.7, 85-89 = 3.9, 90+ = 4.0 (I think)) by being consistent in your courses. Good luck.

Guest JAMIRA

therealcrackers,

Sorry to jump in with a somewhat off-the-topic question, but you said that an applicant must have THREE full-time years in order to be accepted. I thought as long as one has completed two full-time years prior to registration, that is sufficient. I had posted a message a few weeks ago about how I only have one full-time year out the 4 years of my BSc (already completed). I think it was Aneliz who told me that I only had to complete one more full-time "special" year in order to be considered at UWO. In that case, I would only have two full-time years. Now I am confused... :\

Any clarification would be much appreciated.

~Jam

Guest aneliz

You are correct Jamira...

You need to have the EQUIVALENT of three full undergraduate years completed (15.0 credits) before you can register, however, ONLY TWO of these years need to be fulltime, Sept-April years...

For example, you could have taken two years full time and then completed the last 5.0 credits that you needed to get to 15.0 one half credit at a time over 10 years if you wanted and that would still count. You could not however have taken 15.0 credits all part time and you cannot register if you have two full time years but have not completed 15.0 credits total over the course of your undergrad career...

Does that clear that up?

Archived