Premed 101 Forums

Nursing-Med School Question

Guest AgentOrange0719

Guest AgentOrange0719

I have question. I'm entering my 4th year in a Nursing program, though I want to get into Med school. Now I only have basic science coarses from high school and a few basic Life Sci. coarses from a university like biochem, physiology, anatomy.. but i don't have chem/organic chem... Now i'm a book worm and I feel I could learn the things I need to for the science component but I don't know if this is realistic.. so is it possible to learn what I need to know from my own self directed learning from MCAT books and practice exams.??

Thanks so much.. Aleks

I know some people have learned organic chem on their own, but the chem portion, while not difficult, is a pretty large component of the physical sciences section on the MCAT. If you don't take chem and org chem courses then your choice of med schools will be VERY limited since most schools require these two courses.

Guest peachy

I don't have any sense about how important chem is or how many schools need it, because I had it so I didn't check.

I didn't have organic chem when applying or when writing the MCATs and it wasn't a problem. I think that most people won't pull 13's or 14's without it, but if you are going for 10's, then it's not that big a deal. Also, Ottawa and UWO are the only Ontario schools that require it.

For the MCATs, try a practice test and see how you do before taking courses just to prepare for it! For admissions requirements, just check yourself what the requirements are of all the schools that you want to attend.

Personally, if it's MCAT prep, I would think that spending the time that you would spend on a full-year organic course on just studying for the MCATs would probably be more productive, but that's just my opinion. :)

Archived