Premed 101 Forums

A Small Problem...

Guest rez32

Guest rez32

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a high school student heading for university this coming Fall. I'm thinking of going to a school where I know absolutely NOBODY, and am worried that I might have a problem when it comes to group projects/lab partners, that sort of thing. If I end up with a slacker as a lab partner, will this greatly affect my marks? I know this is a tiny problem, but I'm really worried about university!

Another question, perhaps not so trivial -- are people at a serious disadvantage if they don't have access to past tests? Are tests doable without the assistance of these past tests?

Thanks for listening to my rantings, and even more thanks if you reply! :P

Guest aneliz

Don't worry....

I knew absolutely nobody when I started university too...I survived!!

You will meet new people very quickly....because believe it or not, about 95% of the people in your classes/labs will be in the same boat.

As for having a slacker of a lab partner...well, it's possible but I never had it happen. You will usually be able to judge people pretty easily and be able to find people that have similar academic goals. Keep in mind that a lot of the so-called 'dead weight' types that you may have been dealing with in high school group work projects will not be going to university, or if they are, will not be in your program if they are. (And if they start off with you, unless they reform their ways, they won't be around for long!)

As for marks, most things are marked individually anyway (at least they were in my classes). Even though we had a lab partner for chem and orgo labs, we kept our own lab books and handed in our own independent lab reports. Hence, you could control your own marks pretty easily.

Don't worry. One less than stellar lab partner not of your choosing will NOT sink your med school hopes!

:)

Guest UWOMED2005

I think I maybe had one or two courses (out almost 40) in undergrad where I had access to past tests. I did fine.

And I knew noone getting to undergrad either. You make friends. . . O-week/Frosh Week is particularly good for that. Nothing acts like an icebreaker like spilling your guts to someone you just met but lives on your rez floor after volunteering to be the first frosh to do a keg stand at your frosh leaders house (not that you in anyway have to drink, btw, in order to make friends in university.) Ahh, the memories.

As far as worrying who the slackers are when trying to find lab partners, wow, I never ever worried about that. Almost all assignments are individual, and with the exception of a analytical chem lab I took, lab marks in undergrad were usually more about your thought processes and whether you'd learned to write a report properly, rather than based on whether your lab partner accidentally set your experiment on fire. Anyways, for many courses TAs only hand out 7s or 8s no matter how incompetent you and your partner are (with some obvious, truly incompetent, examples.) Who you have as a lab partner CERTAINLY won't make or break your university career. Neither will getting a B- in that course if I should prove wrong. . . relax, enjoy your summer, be prepared to work hard when you get to school in the fall (after some partying during O-week, of course :) ) but don't worry about crossing bridges you haven't seen yet.

Guest tappety tap

Hi Rez!

I went away for university so I can give you my two cents. I have to say, your worries and concerns are valid and pretty cute actually! They make me remember back to being a first year student...ahh the good old days! Anyways, going away for university where you know nobody is an amazing experience. Most people in your classes will most likely be in the same boat. I found that almost everyone in first year is super friendly and outgoing and out to make new friends. Especailly if you live in residence or get involved in your faculty by doing sports, student government or even just going to parties, you will meet TONS of new people. After a few months, you will probably not beleive that you have only known these people since September. As for lab partners, not sure which school you're going to but at Mcgill, we didnt choose our lab partners anyways...it was done alphabetically...if you get stuck with a "slacker"...well you'll have to deal with it...same way you probably did in high school. Everyone has those experiences and it's all part of being able to work with dfferent kinds of people, which of course is important in medicine anyways. Also, many people in science classes are med school bound so will probably be serious students....a lot of the slackers get weeded out in high school...ok not all...but some! I noticed a big difference in high school versus university students....when grades start counting for your future career...many people seem to buckle down more. Being smart and working hard becomes "cooler", if i can still use that word, than in high school.

About having access to past tests...well, obviously it helps. But I wouldnt be worried about this. Just work hard and you should be fine! I have to admit that having past exams in some classes really "saved" me...but they were provided online by the professor so everyone had access..it wasn't an underground thing at all. Also, I know at McGill...when a class does really badly...there is definitely use of the good old bell curve to get the average up to par...

I know going away to university where you dont know anybody is scary, but honestly...you will have the most fun of your life. On top of studying...don't forget to have fun! Meeting new people is part of the experience.

All right, I've said my bit :P GOOD LUCK!!!

Guest UofT Student

Hi rez32,

I just finished my first year at the University of Toronto. Although I did know some people from high school, I also made some new friends during frosh week at my college. As for group projects and lab partners, we didn't really have much choice.

UofT divided us into lab sections initially, so it was extremely unlikely that you would know anyone in your lab group. The only subject in which we were marked as partners was introductory physics. I found that most people in my lab group were hard workers, though, so it's not necessary to worry about getting a slacker as a lab partner. Think of it this way: if someone worked hard enough to get into university, he or she probably won't slack off!

If you do end up with a partner whose work habits are not up to your expectations, you can probably speak with your TA to change partners. Keep in mind that it is the TAs who will ultimately determine your grade in the lab portions of the courses you take, so just do your best to meet their expectations! That is, if they want an experiment performed a certain way, or like seeing a lab report with a particular style, make sure you follow their instructions to the letter.

As for previous tests, many courses at UofT put their previous tests online so that everyone could have access. Also, we have an organization called the Arts and Sciences Students' Union (ASSU) that accepts previous tests from students and maintains a "test library". You can visit the ASSU office and photocopy whatever tests you need there.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need any more information. :)

Guest NBer

I think going away to school not knowing anyone is a great experience, as is living in residence...it may be unconfortable for a day, but honestly...it will only last for a few hours when you arrive...and after that you will meet sooooo many people...I knew absolutely no one when I went to undergrad, and loved it...

as for lab partners...I agree that most of the time I didn't get to choose lab partners, or didn't have any at all...and like someone already said, learning to deal with others (and slackers) is all part of "growing" and will help in medicine or any other career...I have ta'd labs and always paired up students...

as for old exams...for both schools I attended (for undergrad and grad school) there were copies of old exams available for most courses for any student either in the library or through the student union...plus if you are living in residence your first year there will be people who are taking the same courses or have taken them in the past...I did alot of group work with others...

good luck, and enjoy it! it will be so much fun!

I agree with NBer.... I didn't know one person when I started my undergrad, and it ended up being the best four years of my life. One of the best places to meet people, in my experience, anyway, was in labs. Some of the people I was forced to be lab partners with ended up to be my closest friends. I am sure everyone has different experiences, but I met most of my friends in classes and labs (even though I lived in residence) because those are the people with whom I had the most in common. I assure you that not knowing anyone when you start school can turn out to be a wonderful way to meet new friends and people you otherwise may not have met if you stuck to what you have always known.

rez32:

You are right to be worried about lab partners. You could end up with someone like me! :rollin I was the worst walking disaster, not-prepared, did not like lab work, etc... What I am trying to say is not to worry, you'll be just fine. Going away to university is a great experience.

Guest rez32

Hi,

I hope everyone's having a great day. :D The response to my post has been overwhelming, thanks so much for all of your inputs and reassurances. Hopefully, I'll be fortunate enough to have the same positive experiences in university you are all describing. Now I'm so excited...!! Hahaha! Thanks again everyone!

Guest rez32

I'm going to York U in Ontario... :P It's not really "going away" because I'd still be living at home, but all of my friends are going to UofT for life sci... It's kind of tempting me to go to UofT with them (!! should I??) but York seems more attractive to me at the moment (financial aid significantly more than what UofT's offering me).

hey rez, I was in the same position as you a year ago.. york was throwing the big bucks around, while UofT?? NOTHING!

I ended up deciding to go to UT and I'm SOO glad I made that decision. The program is challenging, but I've enjoyed it, I put in more effort than high school and the rewards have been better than high school.

In terms of scholarships, I applied to OSAP, not for the loans but to be eligible for Aiming for the Top.. you should do the same, if your marks are good enough you'll get at least $100, and if your financial need meets their criteria, you can get upto $3500. On top of that, in the middle of August I got a letter from UT saying they looked at my application again, and they gave me a sizable scholarship due to financial aid.

I went into first year with a group of people I knew, so I can't really comment on the new lab partner issue, but I think it's nice working with someone you know just because you've already built up trust and you're comfortable with em, but then again, learning to get along and work with new people is a valuable skill that you'll definitely need later on.

In terms of past tests - they're valuable resources, they give you practice with the kinds of questions you're going to see on your tests. In some cases (BIO150, SOC101), you might even get some repetitions of old questions, just worded a little differently. If you don't have access to past tests, don't sweat it, just try to figure out what kind of questions they can ask you and make sure you know how to do every assigned problem.

just curious.. where do u go to high school?

Guest peachy

I looooooove York! :rollin Seriously, it's been a fun place to spend four years. People don't tend to be very competitive, profs are really accessible and friendly, and extracurriculars tend to be low-key.

I always find it mystifying when people say "I'm not sure whether I should go to York or UofT, they're pretty much the same" 'cause they are so NOT. Each has its good points, and each has its bad points. I really think it depends on the person - for me York was the right place, no question about it. For lots of others, UofT was the right place. You need to figure out what's right for YOU.

Are you going to come out to the Science Scholarship evening on the 21st? It's a great chance to meet some current students (I'll be there, too) and hear about the pros/cons of being at York.

About your earlier comments about not knowing anyone. I totally agree with everything that was posted so far - you'll meet people, lab partners won't be a problem, and things will all work out. :) No matter where you decide to go.

My experience at York with lab partners: Until this year I have always worked with people I didn't konw. My 2nd year biochem lab partner has become a really good friend, so there are advantages to meeting new people this way! :)

As to old tests, they are easily and readily available in first and second year courses, normally either provided by the course instructor or sold by the departmental club. By third year, you will definitely know enough people to get old tests from them :) Whether they are helpful or important depends on the course, but it's really not anything to be anxious about.

In any case, Bethune (the college associated with Science) operates a peer-advising centre which is open every day all day. You can check it out at www.yorku.ca/sos . And science at York is pretty small relative to the size of the university - just a few thousand students. So, no worries. You won't feel lost. :)

If you do decide to come to York, you should definitely try to make it out to our summer orientation program (called "Rev It Up") for incoming students. It's a one-day program basically designed to make you feel less nervous about starting school. A chance to meet some of your classmates in advance, get lots of information about services on campus, go on tours, etc. All those kinds of things will be repeated during Fall orientation, but this program give you a heads-up so that you can start the year confident that you know what is going on.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I had a couple of total slackers for lab partners and I managed to do just fine in all of my lab courses. For me, a lot of the experiments were marked individually anyway; your lab partner just basically shared the same locker as you did. In the experiments where we did have to work together, I found that my partner(s) had ZERO idea of what to do and looked to me for guidance. Not to suggest that I myself was a model lab student either, I never read the experiments beforehand, but I was very good at determining what we had to do and when (the groups around us were a decent resource as well). So long as you're not useless in the lab yourself, or you let your idiot partner do things (I never let mine do anything without running it by me first), you'll be fine. Besides, when it comes down to it, it will be YOU writing up your lab reports and submitting them for marks, not your partner. And that's where most of your marks will lie! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

One other thing that nobody has mentioned is that lab marks are USUALLY based mostly on your write-ups (and lab quizzes), which can be done completely independently, instead of the results you get. The only exception I encountered was organic chem, in which it was important to have accurate results. But in biochem, for example, I had a really smart lab partner, but we were HORRIBLE in the lab. We never got the results we were supposed to and completely screwed up various experiments, but we ended up with the highest marks in our lab anyway. And we both ended up doing basic science research in grad school!

Guest Cloudancing

Lazy lab partners are everywhere. No matter where you go, or what you take, there will always be someone who doesn't do their work. Some people like to coast but they can do well on tests and stuff or they drop the course. Like fox said, the marks are assigned individually. So nevermind the lazy lab partner (if you end up with one--hopefully you won't). I'm taking a bio course right now8o . I will be meeting my lab partner tomorrow I think. If it makes you feel better I'll post again and tell you what kind of partner I get. Sheesh, who knows, maybe my partner will think I AM lazy!:lol

Guest UWOMED2005

To turn things around 180 degrees, don't forget there are also lab partners who are too controlling and won't let their partner provide input and/or do anything. Teamwork is a skill that requires (at least) two people. And teamwork is quite possibly THE MOST IMPORTANT skill to have in medicine. . . no physician in this day and age practices in isolation, and in most cases you are working now in an outright multidisciplinary team. So it's possible working with what you may deem to be a "slacker" might be a good exercise if you're interested in medicine

But yes, I will admit there are truly lazy lab partners as well. And they can be a pain in the butt.

Guest rez32

I'm at Earl Haig Secondary School right now, not sure if you've ever heard of it. A lot of students go to UofT from my school though...

Are you by any chance in first year meds at UofT right now?

Guest toothy

woohoo! carpe diem! I'm not in meds but I was a haiger... back when it was "old sk00l" with portables and a hole in the side.

Guest UWOMED2005

I knew a couple of people who went to Earl Haig (the one in Toronto, not Kanata) but they'd be a few years older, graduating from a 4 year program this year.

Guest rez32

Hi,

oh that must've been a while back if EH had portables; what year did you graduate?...is that when there was asbestos in the walls?? My five years at Haig have all been in the new building, so I guess I've been lucky. :) I've actually seen you (well, more like your posts) at the dental forum, b/c I'm actually an aspiring dentist, not MD. I tend to visit the premed forum more though, because there seems to hardly be anyone at the predent one!

Guest toothy

I only spent my last 2 years at Haig, when they were tearing it down (while we had classes)... That was around 96/97 perhaps? Back then it was overcrowded and falling apart but the teachers were really nice and it was a good experience. A couple of summers back I sneaked back in and I thought the new school was nice, even though it was during the janitorial strike :P

Anyway, good luck with applying! And no, in the big picture slacker lab partners don't make a whole lot of difference, except if it gets you to start sending backstab messages to the TA/prof... time's better spent studying and partying than cuttin' throats :)

yep I know Haig, I went to WL Mackenzie just west on Sheppard, I think our girls basketball team got into a fight with yours or something a couple of years ago ;)

I just finished 1st year Life Sci at UT, not 1st year meds

Archived