Premed 101 Forums

advice please?

Guest Hilde

Guest Hilde

alright people this kind of question probably has been asked many many times. This is my case scenario..my first year GPA was 3.6 and second year I finished with a 3.4, I'm highly considering applying to American medical schools. Anyone familiar with any american med school? With these GPA's and assuming the next two few years, my GPA is around 3.5, and I do have some reasonble experiences in general, a pretty okay MCAT score, what are my chances?

Guest Chieka

I'm familiar with American medical schools - I applied there for 2003 entry. ;) There are actually several posters who are familiar with American medical schools. I suggest taking a look at the "Applying to American medical schools" section of this message board.

Anyhow, American medical schools are VERY diverse. There are so many different standards. Your GPA should give you a shot at most average (middle tier) schools; depending on your MCAT scores, and your overall background, you may also have a shot at the higher tier (Harvard, etc) schools.

About a 3.5 GPA will give you a decent shot. You have more than that, especially since Canadian grades convert really well on the AMCAS grading scale (for American applications). I know that on my transcript, anything that any grade 80% and over was a 4.0. Nice, eh? :D

A final note, American schools are not as rigid with cut-offs as some Canadian schools are. For the MCAT they tend to be more concerned with average score of the three numerically marked sections, than with each section's individual score.

Perhaps you could pose more specific questions, and I'll try my best to help.

C.

P.S. Here is a website for students applying to American med schools: http://www.studentdoctor.net

Guest tantastic

Can I ask, How do you pay for it?

Isn't almost 500,000 when converted to Canadian Dollars?

Also, I've heard that the standards are pretty high for private schools. While the State schools are easier to get into, they really only favour instate residents.

Any info is appreciated :)

Archived