Premed 101 Forums

Advice needed re: next year

Guest misagh

Guest misagh

Hello everyone,

I`m just looking for some advice. I got two interviews this year but got bad waitlisted, so now I have to pursue plan B for next year. I have two choices for plan B:

1. Do my honours year

2. Do a year of service, specifically socio-economic development work in the North or another country.

There are a lot of uncertainties in my mind. I don`t want to really do anything just for the med schools. By the same token, I realize that any of the two options above would lend much to my next application. I have research experience already (including publications) and I`ve wanted to do option #2 since after high school. I figure I`m young, and this may be my last chance to take such a trip while I`m still this young and encouragable.

If I don`t do my honours tho, and reapply, will that put me at a disadvantage since I`ll have only graduated with a 3 year degree? I wonder if I can defer my honours year...

Anyways, any advice would be appreciated. What would you do in my situation? I can provide you with more info if needed...

Thanks in advance

- Misagh

Guest doctorfunk

My understanding is that none of the Ontario schools favour applicants with honours over those with the 3-year degree. One thing you may wish to consider is if you see graduate studies as a possible route in your future.

Also, I believe you are allowed to return to your program after a year off if you do not graduate with a 3-year degree - you may want to look into it.

Guest tirisa

I agree that you need to consider how to make the most of your next year, without closing any doors. Stopping at a three year degree may limit any future graduate study options, as Dr. Funk mentioned above. I know that when I finished my undergrad, I never dreamed of returning for a graduate degree... but sure enough, several years later, I was back.

I'm not sure what school you're at, but have you checked to see if your school has any international development student organizations, or even international medical orgs?? You could kill two birds with one stone by doing your honours degree and getting involved in a student ID organization that may have summer work programs abroad. For example, Queen's Univ. has QPID (Qu. Progr. for ID) and QMO (Qu. Med Outreach), both of which recruit people from ANY faculty to do ID work in developing countries. I believe most Ont. Unis have such organizations. Granted, the experience would only be 2 or 3 months, rather than all year, but the things you can learn would still be significant. And you'll be able to get your honours.

Anyway, just some other things to think about.

Good luck.

Tirisa

Archived