Premed 101 Forums

new to the board, Hello

Guest somethingwicked

Guest somethingwicked

Hey everyone.

I've been shadowing this board for a few weeks now and I really feel bad that I didn't find this place earlier

Currently I'm going into my 3rd year (Biochemistry) at Mac.

Anyway, I'll start my stay here with a question:

How many hours per week of extra cirricular activity do you think is good in the eyes of a medS? (during the school year as a full-time student)

reason I ask is because a professor has offered me a position in his lab this coming school year (about 10-15 hrs per week), so I'm wondering if I should turn this down and devote all my time to volunteer/extra cirricular activity

Guest Ian Wong

There's a recent thread on extra-curricular volunteering here:

pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm34.showMessage?topicID=279.topic

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but there is no "ideal" number of hours a week of volunteering. No one at the medical school is going to care if you only did 250 hours worth of volunteering versus 400 hours. The most important parts of healthcare volunteering are the quality of the experience itself (did you actually need and talk with patients/health care workers or were you stocking shelves in the back), and whether it's given you the insight to answer the question "Why do I want to go into medicine?" if you didn't otherwise know.

As far as the lab job goes, that's something only you can decide if you want to commit to it. There are just too many variables in there for any of us to say whether that's a good fit for you. If you think it is, I'd say go for it.

Ian

Archived