Premed 101 Forums

Prep101 Course Vs Tpr Course For 2015 Mcat

freewheeler

Hi all,

While I understand that the new MCAT is only being written for the first few times this month, I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to whether I should signup for the Prep101 MCAT review course or the one offered by TPR.

All I am really concerned with is that I want to take the course that will provide me with better instructors and prep materials (review books, practice tests, etc.). 

My self-studying skills are strong, however I am going to be quite busy with numerous involvements (research, volunteering, applications, etc.) and I would appreciate having the additional structure that a prep course would offer.

I have taken courses covering all of the subjects covered on the MCAT except for university level physics. I plan on doing an intensive review of physics for 3+ weeks before starting the MCAT review course and am confident that as long as I review all of the concepts covered in my university's first year physics course and focus on really understanding the material, that I will have a sufficient background in physics, heading into the MCAT course plus all of the self-studying I will be doing thereafter.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!

I took Prep101's MCAT prep course back when the writing sample was still a component. I had a good experience. Instructors were all med-students with the exception of a chemist named Chad, whose side-mission in life was to write the MCAT a bunch of times just for fun. There were a lot of class schedule options and the amount of teaching time offered was plentiful. Also, they taught a good general approach to standardized tests. This was more important than you might think because the material covered by the MCAT is not what's difficult (it's 2nd year undergrad), it is the speed with which you are required to regurgitate that info. For me, I found the summer discipline and having all the AAMC Practice Tests the most useful, and Prep101 provided both.

But this new MCAT is a whole new ball of wax. I don't know if my experience is applicable to current MCAT prep.

Archived