Premed 101 Forums

Public Health - Job Prospects?

Hello all,

I am a longtime PM101 reader and recently matched FM resident (yay!). I have found myself seriously considering the possibility of transferring into PHPM after I finish my CCFP. I love family med, but don't necessarily see myself practicing office medicine 5 days a week for the rest of my career. Now that I am matched in FM, I am starting to think about the future. I have always been interested in PHPM, but did not apply due to a lack of experience and the horror stories that I heard about the job market.

I am wondering if any PHPM residents or "people in the know" might be willing to comment on the state of the job market for traditional public health practice (i.e. MOH and related jobs) in Ontario, specifically the GTA. Is it as dire as rumoured a few years ago? (I have seen the old posts by Moo regarding there being virtually no jobs in Vancouver). How feasible is it, in reality, to fall back on practicing family medicine if you can't get a job in public health? I suspect I would lose a lot of clinical skills in those 3 years of public health training.

If I decide that I am primarily interested in the research side of things as opposed to practicing public health as an MOH, would it be better to simply pursue a masters/doctorate and try to forge a career as a clinician scientist? That seems like an equally challenging path, but perhaps would lead to a better chance of employment...

I would appreciate any insight you have to offer! Feel free to send a private message! Thanks!

Archived