Premed 101 Forums

High Enough Gpa For Us Md?

Hello,

I have been looking through some of the threads in this forum and was wondering if there was a 'cutoff' of GPA for Canadians applying for an MD school in the states. 

My GPA (so far) converted to AMCAS is:

Y1: 3.7

Y2: 3.5

If I could get 80%+ for all my courses in third and fourth year (which would convert to 4.0 since I'm at Western), the cGPA is looking to be around 3.8. Would this be considered competitive in terms of GPA?

As well, in the second year I had dropped a 0.5 course... would this change the weighting of the AMCAS GPA calculated for the second year?

Thank you!

Hello,

I have been looking through some of the threads in this forum and was wondering if there was a 'cutoff' of GPA for Canadians applying for an MD school in the states. 

My GPA (so far) converted to AMCAS is:

Y1: 3.7

Y2: 3.5

If I could get 80%+ for all my courses in third and fourth year (which would convert to 4.0 since I'm at Western), the cGPA is looking to be around 3.8. Would this be considered competitive in terms of GPA?

As well, in the second year I had dropped a 0.5 course... would this change the weighting of the AMCAS GPA calculated for the second year?

Thank you!

Ace 3rd and 4th year and you'll be fine. Too early to say anything yet.

If your Year 3 GPA is 3.9+ and your average first 3 years GPA is around 3.7 or above, with accepted MCAT like 9,9,9 or above plus accepted ECs, essays and reference letters, you're good to go for Amcas or DO schools in USA this coming cycle, you don't need year 4 GPA.

LizzyM score = GPA * 10 + MCAT (old)

65~70 aim for lower tier MD or DO schools
70~75 aim for middle tier MD schools
75+ aim for top tier MD schools

Archived