Premed 101 Forums

Can I Have Some Opinions?

klem

I'm in my last year of high school and at the beginning of the year, I thought I wanted to pursue engineering. But recently, I've decided I want to pursue pharmacy instead. The thing is, I have already applied for engineering as my first choice.

My acceptances so far include:

U of S - Engineering

U of A - Computer Science

U of T - Life Science

I'd like to focus all my effort into getting my prerequisites for pharmacy so I'd like to go into a BSc major. But at this point, that would make U of T my only choice. However, I've heard all about U of T and how they will literally crush your GPA and your chances at professional schooling.

What do I do? Should I even pursue pharmacy as it's already so saturated?

I know quite a few people who got into med school successfully after studying at UofT including life science. I personally didn't go to UofT so can't comment on how difficult the program is. If you are thinking about pursuing pharmacy, you can go to UofA comp sci then switch to pharm undergrad. If you are thinking about medicine down the road, GPA is very important, choosing a less competitive undergrad may be advantageous. 

I know quite a few people who got into med school successfully after studying at UofT including life science. I personally didn't go to UofT so can't comment on how difficult the program is. If you are thinking about pursuing pharmacy, you can go to UofA comp sci then switch to pharm undergrad. If you are thinking about medicine down the road, GPA is very important, choosing a less competitive undergrad may be advantageous. 

I've already applied though... I can't change it at U of A as the deadline has already passed but I can change it at U of S. I've heard that schools tend to prefer applicants from their own province. Will this give me a disadvantage to the other pharmacy schools in Canada; specifically U of T and UBC?

I've also heard that where you get your degree for professional school, matters. Does it matter for pharmacy if I plan on staying in Canada?

Archived