Premed 101 Forums

Amcas

PM333

I know that the AMCAS application is opening soon. I have not applied yet, and I have many questions for this topic! I will be applying both to Canadian and American schools. 

First Question: Reference letters. I know that there is an option on the AMCAS application for professors to directly upload their reference letters for schools. My question is that is this the only time I will need to ask my professors for LORs? I know that different schools have different guidelines regarding reference letters, but do they all look at the AMCAS LORs or are we expected to have those who have written our LORs to send them directly to the schools of interest? If our professors are supposed to send them directly to the schools, do we need to upload them to AMCAS? Just confused on the overall process. 

Second Question: I know that the application opens on May 5th and we are able to submit them in early June. Should I already begin asking my references to upload their reference letters on AMCAS for June? I will be writing my MCAT in August, so I am just confused on the overall timeline. I know that America has rolling admissions, so the sooner I submit the better, but if I am writing my MCAT in August, would it make sense for me to wait until that date? When should I submit it for Canadian schools? 

Thank you so much in advance! I am really new to this topic and I would really appreciate you getting back to me! :)

Do you know if that makes a difference for Canadian schools that don't work by rolling admissions?

Well Canadian schools are different. I'd say the Canadian norm is write in June/July, then if not happy with score, write again in August/Sept. I forgot what's the latest date to write for Canadian schools. But no, there's no penalty to write late for Canadian schools, as long as you can find a spot.

Well Canadian schools are different. I'd say the Canadian norm is write in June/July, then if not happy with score, write again in August/Sept. I forgot what's the latest date to write for Canadian schools. But no, there's no penalty to write late for Canadian schools, as long as you can find a spot.

I think Dal is the earliest deadline in Canada, its sometime in August

Archived