Premed 101 Forums

Advice Needed!

Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice. I'm considering attending med school abroad since my stats are way too weak for Canadian schools. Stats below:

GPA:

BSc - 2.9 GPA Overall (very weak GPA in years 1-3; 3.6 GPA in years 4 and 5). Science and overall very similar.

MSc - 4.0 GPA

MCAT:

9/9/12

ECs:

Varsity athlete (captain), 5 pubs (one 1st author), run my own business, competitive sport coach, humanitarian work, youth group leader, TA, camp councilor, lots of other hospital volunteering, community and leadership stuff.

My GPA and MCAT aren't good but people keep mentioning the holistic approach USMD schools have. I recently had an interview with an Australian school and I expect an offer.

I made the mistake a few years of thinking a masters degree would help my chances but probably should have did another undergrad degree instead.

Do I have a chance at any USMD schools?

Thanks

Very very low GPA and lowish MCAT. I wouldn't spend the money, unless you have some high impact pubs or you run a prominent business etc. Your best bet is to do a SMP with linkage if you really want a USMD school. 

Or do a second degree and apply to the Canadian schools that accept it. 

I would look into USDO schools, but even then you'd still need to do a bit of work and get that GPA up.

0 chance at MD

re-take a bunch of 1st year classes, and pump up your gpa and apply DO everywhere. They like lots of life experience, MSC helps. Get your gpa to 3.2, volunteer, get DO experience and letters, also apply IMG-- bc your shot at a DO is also very low. 

a year of damage control...but its worth it before going img

Thanks for the feedback. I just recalculated my marks according to the AMCAS conversion chart and I have 3.15 now (with 3.7 in last 2 years). Do USMD or USDO schools accept grad marks?

Grad marks dont really have much value. Everyone knows they are not the same metric as undergrad marks. Will they show up? Yes. Will they make a difference to help your situation? Not really.

Your MCAT 9-9-12 is good for most DO and some lower tier USMD, ECs is much better than mine,

The problem is your GPA, may not meet most schools' cut-off And limited your chance for interview.

If I'm in your shoes, I will apply ALL Canadian friendly USDO and lower tier USMD schools this coming cycle,

spending $5,000 on applications to find a school or two accept me. $5,000 seems a lot, but it's not, compare

To tuition fees, living costs or your time. Remember, you don't need all schools accept you, you just need ONE,

and From my experience, you don't know which one, so you have to apply them ALL.

Your MCAT 9-9-12 is good for most DO and some lower tier USMD, ECs is much better than mine,

The problem is your GPA, may not meet most schools' cut-off And limited your chance for interview.

If I'm in your shoes, I will apply ALL Canadian friendly USDO and lower tier USMD schools this coming cycle,

spending $5,000 on applications to find a school or two accept me. $5,000 seems a lot, but it's not, compare

To tuition fees, living costs or your time. Remember, you don't need all schools accept you, you just need ONE,

and From my experience, you don't know which one, so you have to apply them ALL.

I'd disagree.

I would spend that 5000$ to first increase the GPA to be above screens, and retake the MCAT. Then properly apply next year after putting in the extra work. 

3.15 is not going to open any doors, sorry.You dont wanna apply as a long shot. If your deadset on getting accepted nxt year, I would only apply DO or IMG, while taking classes (and doing 2-3 retakes) that can Get that gpa to a 3.5. If you do get accepted then you decide where you wanna go. If you get cold feet, then apply MD DO IMG again.

I dont see much luck aside from DO or IMG, imho

unless you bring your numbers to a 3.7 and 30 mcat, and that is too much damage control. and repeating undergrad would be smarter. 

I had almost identical applicaiton as yours, pubs Msc gpa etc (so its been several years when i applied)--if i can provide you with 1 advice..its get this med done asap and dont spend 10 years trying to fix up undergrad numbers lol

goodluck

We all know 3.15 cGPA can't pass most USDO and allmost ALL USMD's pre-screen (averge B+ or 3.3 cGPA) but I still believe there is ONE or two schools will look OP's last 2 years GPA 3.6 and 2 years MSc GPA 4.0 and give OP an interview chance. This is my opinion, no guarantee.

Archived