Premed 101 Forums

Should I Be Worried? (Accreditation Issue)

Hey everyone,

I received interviews at U of O and at U of T. I think both schools are great for their own reasons so if I got accepted I would be on the fence. With this said , I am a bit concerned with this article that came out 2 days ago.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/u-of-o-receives-notice-of-intent-to-withdraw-accreditation-of-neurosurgery-program

Would you guys still consider U of O as an option if I got acceptances for both schools? I don't even know of this neurosurgery program (or whether I would be even interested) but I don't want to risk anything given how important and life consuming this entire process is. 

Thanks

This is my personal opinion here (and to be honest the only thing I read in that article is the title :P) but I don't think any school will allow any of their programs to lose accreditation. Their first priority would be to fix any issues that are brought up and regain accreditation ASAP. Happened to Saskatchewan's MD program and they've gone through significant changes in recent years (many of which I think are great changes).

With that said a residency is very different from an undergrad MD program so I don't know about that.

I personally would never choose Ottawa over Toronto, or even say Queen's or Mac for that matter in terms of ON schools.  I think you should focus more on the lifestyle that you'll have to endure during med school and decide if you want the 9-5 classes at U of T, or the more free time/study on your own type atmosphere that uOttawa offers.  In terms of resiency, even if you do go to Ottawa, there is no saying you have to do a residency there.  If you want to do a neurosurg residency, apply elsewhere if Ottawa's program doesn't shape up.  Right now if I were you, I would focus on the pros and cons of the med schools themselves. 

No, you shouldn't be worried. Even if you end up wanting neurosurgery, you shouldn't be worried.

Like a previous poster said, what should be more important to you at this stage should be the undergraduate medical curriculums and student experience at each school.

Archived