Premed 101 Forums

Question 4 those who got in w/ their second degree

Guest asmain

Guest asmain

I just have a quick question for those who had to do a second degree in order to get into med school b/c of their gpa and who are med school now. How much did you improve on your gpa w/ your second degree and has that come up on your interview.

thank you.

Guest StarGirl123

My GPA increased quite a bit during my masters degree. I went from a 3.63 GPA to a 4.0 equivalent. I did my masters at UW so the marks are in percent but my average was above 90. The important thing I want to point out here is that I picked a degree suited to myself, that is very important in a masters. The long hours of research and the amount of coursework can be quite daunting so you need to enjoy the topic. I also picked a degree that could land me a job working in the medical field if I did not get into medicine this year. My degree did not really come up in my interview but I made sure to mention my reasons for choosing my field in my essays.

Cheers,

StarGirl

Guest meredith79

Hey,

Hope you don't mind me asking, what grad degree did you take at UW? I am thinking of taking the Master's in Health Studies and Gerontology.

Guest StarGirl123

I did a Master's in Biostatistics offered through the faculty of Math. Probably soungs gross to a lot of people, but I really enjoyed it. :D

Guest Dr Love

Hi,

I did a one year masters degree at the University of Calgary in Biomedical Technology, and my GPA only went up a little bit from 3.86 in my undergrad to 3.9 in my grad studies. The second degree only came up in the interview when I tried to steer the interview panlel in that direction.

Depending on how low your GPA is, you may be better off puting the time and effort into other aspects of your application (MCAT, volunteer, travel etc.) In hindsight I think that my time would have been better spent getting some more life experience instead of getting a few more letters behind my name.

Best of luck

L8er

P.S. I got accepted into the University of Alberta on my first try after getting my masters degree. BUT since I didn't defend before a certain date, my masters degree wasn't counted in my application, so the only place that it helped me was in my interview.

Guest steak

Hi asmain,

while i haven't actually landed in med school yet, my gpa went from 2.? ish to a 3.8 in grad school, and having finished the first of two years of a BSc, averaged out to about a 3.75..

it's amazing what a few years away from school, and a sense of purpose can do to a gpa!

good luck.

Archived