Premed 101 Forums

take law school as premed?

Guest shoopshoop

Guest shoopshoop

i was wondering if it was a good idea to take law as premed...it would be great to hear from others what they have in mind.

Guest Lactic Folly

Most people enter law school after a bachelor's degree, so that would lengthen the time before you could apply to medicine. Also, there are likewise hoops to jump through to get accepted into law and I don't know how easy it is to get good grades in law school.

Guest shoopshoop

u said "most people" but what about the others? i know that LSAT exam has to be taken (like MCAT for med.) but do you have to have a bachelor's? i went through ubc's site and i couldn't find any mentioning of that.

Guest batman

I'm not positive on this stuff (having never considered pursuing law), but I think at some schools all you need is 2 years of undergrad to get into an LLB program in Ontario (so you don't need a bachelor's).

From what I've heard from friends in law school, it's not much problem getting into law school (huge class sizes and no shortage of law schools....no shortage of lawyers either!), but it's a matter of staying in, and completing the degree. i.e. don't count on getting a straight >80 or >85 GPA in law school - it's pretty rare, and could torpedo your chances for med.

Guest Lactic Folly

Well, at U of A it is possible to get into law after two years with an exceptional GPA and LSAT - however, it is also possible to get into med after two years, so why not just apply to medicine? Not sure about requirements for UBC.

Guest shoopshoop

well i thought of law as some kind of backup plan in case i don't get into med...afterall, medicine is what im after. its just that i want to spend those undergrad years ENJOYING what im studying and i like the idea of law. (never watched law and order so don't ask :) )

thanks guys/gals

Guest batman

If you enjoy studying law (even if medicine is really what you're after), you can always do a B.A. and take law-related arts courses as part of undergrad (like 'business law' etc), without having to endure the brutality of law school.

Archived