Premed 101 Forums

Us Medical School Advice Needed

The MCAT is below average, and you retook it a lot of times, but it doesnt take you out of the running.

Everything else looks good. Use this sub forum and the SDN threads to make your list of Canadian friendly USMD schools.

Make sure to really look into financials before you apply to make sure it is doable. 

And yes include as much about your background and who you are in your PS and primary application as possible. 

As well you have secondary essays to perhaps sneak some stuff like that into.

You did shoot yourself in the foot with the MCAT repeats. Some schools use weird math to average previous scores, and score fluctuations are a red flag. The thought is that having experienced the test you should be getting better every time (as you keep building upon previous studying), and even multiple attempts with the same score can be a warning to schools. That being said, your current score is balanced and you seem to be ESL so I would recommend doing some research and looking into schools that take holistic looks or explicitly only look at the latest MCAT, if they're out there.

thanks everyone for the honest responses so far....I appreciate them.

Do you have any idea of what schools looks look at your last MCAT or at your application holistically? I've been trying to look for this but studentdoctor forum is currently down.

For example, University of Hawaii:

"MCAT test scores from January 2013 to September 2015 (May 2015 for Early Decision) will be considered for the 2016 entering class application cycle."

So they will not look at my scores prior to January 2013?

Hard to say. It means that you must have a MCAT between those dates, but any school using the AMCAS applicaiton will always be able to see all scores (taken after 1995 or something), but you'd have to do some research on studentdoctor to see if they ignore thosse scores or take them into consideration. Usually contacting these schools won't help so you'll have to do some smart searching for school threads where people with weak MCAT histories were accepted.

Archived