Guest purine5

Guest purine5

I am just wondering,

if there's any medcial school that

requires Physics course.

(I really really hate PHYSICS, to me it doesn't make any sense to me >: :| ):x

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

If US schools are of interest to you, almost all of them do require a physics course with lab. With respect to Canadian schools, although most require organic chemistry, general chemistry, biology, etc., many do not specifically call out for physics.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Lorae

I have never taken physics in my life (not even highschool) ;)

The Canadian Medical School's that do NOT require physics are: Calgary, Dalhousie, McMaster, Western, Queen's, Toronto, Ottawa.

Those are the school's I am applying to.....

The problem is that only 2 of those schools (McMaster and Ottawa) do not require the MCAT...

So... unless you are from Ontario, your chances of getting accepted are low... which means that you'd need to write the MCAT to increase your chances of getting accepted somewhere.

I have studied my *&^%^* off all summer and have managed to learn enough physics that I think I have a chance. It was very hard and took soooo much work - and I'm still only getting like 50-55% on the physics questions. My saving grace (I hope) will be that my inorganic chemistry is strong - so my score will balance out (hopefully).

By not taking physics you decrease the number of schools you can apply to. You also decrease the chance you will do well on the MCAT. It's a huge gamble - but I decided to take it.

I'll let you know how it turns out for me ;)

good luck

Guest purine5

Thanx all~ ^^

PHYSICS ..(it's such a weird course to me haha;; )

I will try to like Physics before I take MCAT.

By the way, OTTAwa and MacMaster choose more applicants from Ontario? :eek

Good for me Yeah!

I'm in ON, what a lovely and cold province;)

Guest Lorae

Yeah I'm taking Princeton Review right now. I think it helped alot because they tell you where to focus and there are so many practice items that there's no way I'll finish them all.

But remember - so far I'm only scoring 50-55% on my physics questions, I'm relying on my general chem to pull up the PS grade. Of the 4 practice tests we've completed I've gone from PS 5 to PS 9. I've set a goal of 9 for the PS section on the real MCAT - this is a goal that is lower then a lot of people are willing to accept.

Taking an undergrad physics course would have been much less risky, and it's something I'll probably do if I have to rewrite.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Lorae,

If it's any solace, it seemed that the physics questions on the MCATs I wrote (the real ones ;) ) were ridiculously easy compared to the Princeton Review questions, and I'm no Isaac Newton. They seem to love Newtonian mechanics, magnetism and most recently, I was suprised to find a good representation of quantum physics-type questions. Dovetailing with the latter, there also seemed to be a healthy number of chemistry questions that surrounded atomic principles, radiation, etc. If you know your Azimuthal, spin, etc. numbers as well as alpha, beta and gamma decomposition you'll have no bother with those ones. :)

Cheers and good luck on the big day,

Kirsteen

Guest Shahenshah

taking a uiversity level physics really doesn't mean much for the PS section..the kaplan review materials are more than sufficient..u need the basic tools (formulas, types of questions) and then u practice some questions under each topic..the thing is most of the stuff are in the passage and the discrete questions r usually not that tricky..all I can advise is don't go into the exam with the mindset that 'hmm well I am not supposed to do well on this to begin with since I have no univ physics'..know your basics well and you'll be fine

Archived