Premed 101 Forums

more detailed stats?

Guest coconutty

Guest coconutty

hi, i'm still in high school and i've been thinking about medical school and how to get there. this board has been very informative.

i was wondering if there were any statistics for each medical school that displayed what schools/universities each student came from. i've seen lists where they showed the major and also the ubc one where the schools are listed. i was just looking if any other medical schools could provide the same sort of information.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanx! :D

Guest peachy

You might find a little of the kind of things you are looking for at www.mdapplicants.com/ . I don't know if individual medical schools release this.

That said, you can get into medical school from ANY undergraduate school in Canada. You should pick the school that you want to attend, not the one that you think will get you into medicine :)

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, I know a few people who thought they were playing the game by choosing their undergrad school strictly based on what would get them the best chance of getting into med school. They usually ended up miserable.

Quite sad, really. I've met people in med school from pretty much every university in Canada, and I've never met anyone who didn't get in strictly based on what school they went to.

Don't over-think what university you should go to. Just pick one that seems to fit, with a program you want to study that you think you can excel in.

You'll be fine.

Guest coconutty

Thanks for the replies!

:lol i'm not quite sure how you all came to think that i am looking for an easier way into med school. i'm sure hoping that whatever university i go to won't matter too much. i was just curious if such statistics could be found.

also, even though it seems to be established that med schools don't prefer certain schools, wouldn't they be more impressed with a high mark from a more difficult school rather than from another more easier school?

by the way, i'm still looking for those stats... :P

Guest peachy
i'm not quite sure how you all came to think that i am looking for an easier way into med school. i'm sure hoping that whatever university i go to won't matter too much. i was just curious if such statistics could be found.
'Cause you said that you were deciding which school to go to, and then asked for info about which schools most medical students come from. And because it's a fairly frequent question here... :)

also, even though it seems to be established that med schools don't prefer certain schools, wouldn't they be more impressed with a high mark from a more difficult school rather than from another more easier school?
(For the most part) the Ontario schools (claim to) use a formula for admissions. Your GPA is stuck in that formula, and not weighted in any way based on your school.

Not everybody (including me) would agree with your assumption that there are "more difficult" schools. And even if the medical schools believed this to be true, there are just too many programs in Canada for them to actually rank schools and use that information. Medical school admissions already takes a huge amount of time and money on the part of the schools, why would they put that much effort into something with questionable benefits at best?

by the way, i'm still looking for those stats...
They might not be available. If you really cared, you could probably call up the schools and some might tell you, I guess. When I went to a presentation by the U of T admissions people, they told us where the students from the current first-year class come from, but I didn't write it down 'cause it didn't really matter to me. I only remember that the total ratio was the same for U of T and for York (iirc, 1 in 7 people who applied got in.)

I would be careful when interpretting those stats you are looking for. You may look at the stats and think, "wow, only 2 people got in from Laurier to school X and 30 people from U of T were accepted, therefore people from Laurier aren't successful in their med school applications". However, these stats are completely misleading because U of T probably has 7 or 8 times the number of students that Laurier has. Also, some schools have larger faculties of science than other schools do, so this would affect the number of people even applying for med school from that school. Also, some people choose to only apply to certain schools. You may look at the stats for U of T and think that U of T favours their own students, when in fact the truth may be the complete opposite where students who did their undergrad at U of T (or whatever school, I'm using this as an example) preferred to stay there instead of moving.

When I interviewed at Western this year they showed us the statistical breakdown of their class based on which university each student did their undergrad at. I distinctly remember almost every Canadian school being represented in the class of 133.

I think if you check the websites for the various Canadian med schools you can find the info you are looking for. I know UBC posted that kind of info on their website last year.

Guest therealcrackers

A lot of medical schools have mandates to provide trainees for their home area: BC has a population of about 4 million and ONE medical school --- guess which provinces the vast majority of their students come from. Quebec is an entirely different story as well.

Western (where I go) is more of a "national" school: it doesn't set limits or quotas on the number of out-of-province (OOP) students to be accepted in any one year. In my class there are 7 from BC, 3 from Alberta, 1 from Quebec, 1 from NB, and at least one from NS. Other schools accept a few OOP students, often either with a separate pool they draw from, which may or may not have different admissions standards. This varies from school to school. I remember the second time I applied to med school (1996) getting a letter from UBC which basically said they would love to have me, with an 84 average in 4th year undergrad, if I was a BC resident. The lowest OOP student that year was 88 percent...

In looking for a school with good pre-medical studies, look at the quality of the university courses you are interested in, at whether or not those programs have graduates that got into medical school, but also for what other careers and options such an education will prepare you. Read through the old posts about what moderators and other current med students did for their preparations as a gauge, perhaps. And good luck the rest of the way.

Guest coconutty

Wow, I'm quite surprised by all the replies and information that has come out of my asking one (my first) question on this board. I'm amazed at how much you people are doing to help me and others. I'll think about all the info that has been presented and will be searching on the medical school websites.

Once again, thanks!

Archived