Premed 101 Forums

5-Full courses to get into med school?

Guest EMHC

Hi, I read Gem2005's post and he/she claimed that you have to take 5 full courses (I assumed it meant 5 full year courses) to get into med school? Is this true?

Can't you take 10 half courses that have no relation to each other but as long as the aggregate amount of credits for the year is 30 credits, so to prove to Ad Com that you can take on a full course load, then it's ok?

Need some help, thanks.

EMHC

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Just to add- while yes, most schools will penalize you for not taking a full courseload (5.0 credits or equivalent), just don't go and sign up for 10 random half courses without first considering each school's policy in terms of course difficulty. Some schools (ie: UWO, UT, and others) require that your courseload to reflect the year of your program (ie: 3.0 credits or more at the 200 level or above for 2nd year), so keep this in mind rather than just going out and signing up for a bunch of random 100-level courses- it could hurt your application down the road.

BEst of luck!

Timmy

Guest Lactic Folly

Do you know by any chance how UWO factors that in when considering an application, or how strict they are with that? 4 out of 10 of my courses in 3rd year were 300-level.

Guest therealcrackers

The 100-level courses are the ones that are important, in that you don't want too many or the admissions people might consider it a "floater' year: they want honours level courses for those years (ie not more than 1 100 level course).

Hope that helps...

I'm taking 30 credits during the winter, of which 1 of the courses is a 1 credit course. The other 9 courses I'm taking total up to 29 credits.

How do I fair?

EMHC

Guest peachy

I don't know what school you are from, but at York we're on a 30-credit for a full year system, and 29 credits counts as "full" according to OMSAS.

I'm from UBC. I'm thinking of applying to some of the Ontario schools (actually, 2 ontario schools are on my top 3 list). I suppose then, peachy, that I'm okay in terms of course load with Ontario?

EMHC

Archived