Premed 101 Forums

pharmacy

Guest shiro petto

Guest shiro petto

Hello, everyone:

I'm thinking about applying to U of T pharmacy in my 2nd year, and i'm currently practicing on my writing for its admission test. Can someone suggest me any writing resource at U OF T where i can find a TUTOR who can actually read my essay thoroughly and make comments?

Thank you very much for your help

and by the way, has anyone in this forum taken the Pharmacy admission test at U OF T? how did you find about the critical writing part?

Guest UTMed07

You might want to take a look here (writing resources at U of T) and follow the links for making an appointment. I'm not sure if the writing centres are open during the summer. If they aren't I'd try to contact people teaching ENG100H and ask 'em if they can tutor you, or can refer you to a hungry grad student that could use some money.

Hi shiro,

I'm beginning UofT pharmacy this year. I took the admission profile test last year. The first part required that you read a passage and take a position on it. I found it difficult as I can't write very well in an exam situation. The second part was divided into two sections. A multiple choice section testing your knowledge of the profession and another section with 3 questions. If I recall one question was to write about a major conflict in your life and how you resolved it, one other question I can't recall but it was very similar and a final question about why you would be an asset to the pharmacy profession (or something like that).

I think the questions vary somewhat each year. You can't really study for the test. Just know general info on the profession and the pharmacy degree for the multiple choice section. That will be the easiest part especially if you suck at writing (like I do). I thought I totally bombed all the other sections. In fact, I only wrote about 3 sentences for the last question because I ran out of time. I also mixed up the other 2 questions. I thought I had no chance of getting in yet somehow I got accepted. Good luck!

Guest shiro petto

Hello, everyone:

first of all, i would like to appreciate those of you who answered my questions, thanks for your time!!! ;)

Hi, Kara, i've read the admission requirement online, it says that even if you get a A+, but did bad on the admission test, then it is possible not being admitted; but from your story, it seems like the admission test doesn't really matter........ does it mean that they only look at GPA?

DO YOU MIND IF I ASK FOR YOUR GPA? cuz i didn't get a high GPA in my first year ( only 2.7), and i want to apply in my 2nd year ( i'm trying all the possible ways to study harder), i reallywish i could get in!!!! any suggestions?? your help is appreciated!!!

thank you so much........oh, i would like to congraduate you!!! :)

Thanks shiro. Apparently, (at least in previous years) if you failed the non-academic part, you were rejected, regardess of GPA. The previous year I knew someone who had roughly the same GPA as myself and didn't get in. He was told that he did not achieve the minimum passing score on the non-academic part (admissions test). He didn't even make the waiting list. I have no idea about this year but I was sure I failed the test. In fact, I was on vacation and didn't even think about my application. By chance, my wife phoned my cousin from overseas to check the mail for bills. He came across the letter and opened it on July 2 and told me that I had to respond by July 4 or I would lose my offer! I was pretty lucky...

Wrt GPA, my cumulative is 3.56. My latter years were higher. I had a similar GPA as you during my first years. I don't know what the minimum GPA for acceptance is or how they weigh the admissions test.

My suggestion is just pick courses that you enjoy and are also good at. I liked both the life and earth sciences so I largely took that route. I also preferred multiple choice questions so I tried to avoid essay-type exam courses whenever possible. With essay exams I always felt I knew the stuff but didn't know how to organize my points especially under time constraints. One thing good about U of T arts & science is the wide variety of course selection. Again, the best of luck!

Archived