Premed 101 Forums

AP courses, recognized or not?

Guest Spencer

Guest Spencer

Hi Everyone, just another question from the obnoxious little pre-med still in high school, I am in the AP (Advance Placement) track at my current school and is set to graduate with an AP credit in Bio, Chem and Calculus...my question is, although some universities recognize the AP credit, some others do not, how will that effect whether or not I will have completed some of the prerequisite courses for medical school in an undergraduate setting? Do med schools recognize an AP credit as a proper undergraduate prereq course or does the policy differ from school to school?

Ex. If i applied to York which recognizes AP credits and then apply to UT med school, will they accept the AP credit as a valid prereq (as I know that as an undergraduate institution UT does not recognize the AP credit as valid).

Hey Spencer,

The policies vary from school to school, so you'll have to ask each one individually. I actually never heard of anyone filling the pre-med science requirements with APs (well, I never asked either), but I do know that the U of Sask did take my English AP to fill the English requirement there.

Guest Spencer

If i decide to take the AP courses that i did in high school over again in first year university, would that be counted as repeating the course? or is my slate wiped clean in undergrad??...and how do med schools feel about repeating a course??

>>aii, questions questions...

It's best to ask the schools directly about their policies about APs and repeating courses. Also, if your undergrad has already given you credit for an AP they might not let you take the equivalent course again for credit.

Guest summervirus

I was in IB. Like AP, course credits are awarded for IB courses at certain universities. I received credit for a number of courses like Chemistry, English, and History. But, I chose to repeat Chemistry and English again during my first year of university.

If I recall correctly, the credits still appear on my transcript but with a "repeat" comment next to them. I wrote a brief two sentence explanation for the credits I received from IB on my med applications and had no problems.

Archived