Premed 101 Forums

Different references

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on this: there are some schools that restrict applicants to select specific types of reference letter writers, e.g., UBC. However, there are others that do not make such stipulations, yet restrict the number of letters that may be sent, e.g., Calgary. For those that do not stipulate and do restrict, I am in a position to be able to submit three very good letters from academic writers. Previously, I submitted letters from a more diverse pool of people, e.g., volunteer supervisor, squash coach, job supervisor, professor, etc. (I'm also not in medical school yet. ;) ) Can any of you share some insights as to whether sending in three academic letters may be viewed upon negatively at all, or if it may be wiser to go for the more diverse pool of letter writers again? :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest turtle

Hi Kirsteen,

I think I remember reading in on at least one school's website that they would like at least one of the letters to come from someone who can comment on your 'character and non-academic qualities', or something like that. If your academic letters are that superb I can see why you'd want to use them, but maybe use only 2 of them...then get a 3rd from someone non-academic.

just my thoughts...

turtle

Guest Kirsteen

Hi turtle,

Good point. :) For those schools that make stipulations, I'm definitely paying attention to them. It's the ones that don't that warrant a little more thinking. As to the letters themselves, although one is from a professor with whom I have taken 3 courses, I have known him for 8 years. He can, and has, commented within his letter (he sent me an unsolicited copy), about non-academic qualities. It's a toughie.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived