Premed 101 Forums

How many 400 level courses do I need in 4th year in order...

Guest kylle345

Guest kylle345

for medical schools to count the year?

I know that this varies from school to school. I heard from somewhere that I need at least three 4th year courses in order for my gpa is count towards admissions.

Thanks

Guest blinknoodle

I think that for Toronto, each year needs at least 3 full-year courses (or 6 half-year courses) that correspond to your year of study to be considered for admission.

This is what they say at www.library.utoronto.ca/medicine/educational_programs/admissinfo.html#req:

Applicants are expected to have taken courses at a level corresponding with the year of their program. For example, a student who applies for admission while registered in the third year of undergraduate work should have at least three third year or higher courses in his/her program.

Guest mitchie41

Does anyone know how this rule applies to 4th year students in Major programmes?

I'm from UBC, and most major programmes DO NOT REQUIRE students to 400-level take any more than 1-2 400-level courses. But the honours programmes do require students to take quite a few 400-level courses. I don't know if this goes for any of the other schools in Canada.

Thanks.

This is making me worry :\

I jumped a little bid ahead in my third year, hence my 4000-level courses are spread out throughout my third (1 full course) and fourth (2.5 full courses) years. It adds up to 3.5 full courses but...

Would Toronto admissions think that I'm slacking off in my last year (by taking only 2.5 full 4000-level courses - the other 2.5 are 3000-level)???

Thanks.

Guest dayne67

Hi! I just wanted to know how Admissions Committees would look at my situation.

I am an engineering student who just finished up third year. I now am going to take a break from engineering and am taking about a year (Fall,Winter,Spring,Summer sessions) to obtain my prerequisite courses for Med School at the Faculty of Arts&Science at UofT (I enrolled there). I am doing this year full-time (I am taking 1st year Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Geography, Stats). Since, this is a total different faculty and it isn't my regular program of study, I can't take any 400 level courses. I don't have the prerequisities to take 400 level courses in a different program, which happens to be in my fourth year of undergraduate study.

I intend on going back to my regular undergraduate program (engineering) after this year. How would a Med School (like UofT) look at my situtation? Would they count this year upcoming year in GPA calculation?

Guest UTMed07

hi dayne67,

I read through the UT Admissions page; it suggests, to me that, you just have to do a bit of explaining. In other words, you may have to write a letter explaining the course of your academic studies. Your situation is a bit unusual (and hopefully something no one else will have to deal with -- since U of T engineering is introducing a more flexible engineering programme this year (Engineering Dimensions – July/August issue)); it maybe be a good idea to discuss it with the various admissions officers. GPA, as far as I understand, will be influenced by how well you do this year. I imagine most schools will count your life sciences year, but that is a guess.

I'm wondering, did you catch the rest of this discussion about courses and prereqs?

I am taking 1st year Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Geography, Stats.
I'm surprised you're taking 1st year chem... 'cause I'm thinking you probably did a chem course in first year engineering. I suppose some things change. Stats should be a breeze for you, after differential equations and vector alegbra. Incidentally, if you're bored in stats pick-up this book (Biostatistics: The Bare Essentials) on the subject; it is the best stats book I've seen and the examples in it are so rude you almost die laughing and can't forget them.

Guest dayne67

Hi UTMed07!

Thanks for the info. I have checked the UofT admissions Web-page. And I going to explain my situation (my regular program) in my personal statement.

Also, the reason I am taking first year Chem, is because I am not doing engineering at UofT. First year Chem for various engineering disciplines is only a half-credit course. It only covered 1 half of the UofT full year course. Plus, there were no labs for our Chem course. And we didn't cover any organic/biological concepts in chemistry. I need to take I need a full year chem with labs to statisfy the prerequisite courses of some Med Schools and also be able to take organic chemistry.

Guest pilotgrrl

blinknoodle, in response to your statement:

"I know that for Toronto, each year needs at least 3 full-year courses (or 6 half-year courses) that correspond to your year of study to be considered for admission."

I haven't been able to find this requirement in the ut webpage. Can you direct me to the passage that states this? It says that they expect you to take courses that correspond to your year and then gives an example....but where does it say that I need 3 FCEs that correspond to my year? :(

Guest blinknoodle

Hey pilotgrrl,

I quoted the passage in my original post where I made my conclusion (where they give the example of someone in third year)... maybe I'm wrong and you don't need 3 full year courses, but that was how I interpreted the statement...

Cheers,

blinknoodle

Guest pilotgrrl

Hi blinknoodle,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've been stressing myself over this issue because in fourth year, I'll only have 3.5 400-level FCEs. Upon graduation, I'll have a few more but will need to discuss this with someone in admissions. Thank you again!

8o

I think that the idea of this rule is that they don't want people spending four years taking first- and second-year courses so that they can get artificially inflated good grades, so as long as what you're doing is reasonable then I doubt that it matters.

I also don't think that they look at the courses from the year that you are applying, because the courses you are taking may change from the transcript that they use to admit you (the one generated in October when you apply).

Personally, my courseload was fairly messed up because I took 5 years to do my undergrad, and it didn't seem to be a problem. :) I'm not sure if I met the strict conditions of the rule quoted above, but I doubt it.

Those are just my opinions, and I don't know anything at all official about this, but I hope you're not getting totally worried about this! :)

Archived