Premed 101 Forums

Pharmacist considering career change

Guest Lal99

I'm a practicing pharmacist considering going into medicine. I am unsure about my chances of being accepted and was wondering if anyone out there (especially prior pharmacists) might have some insight.

I took pharmacy at U of A and back then, my focus was to be a pharmacist. I never really considered medicine until now. Unfortunately, since I wasn't really aiming to do anything else, I let my GPA slide. The first 2 years of my program were mainly 6's but I didn't really care back then. The last 2 years, I focused on doing better and improved my GPA and eventually graduated with distinction. However, my last year of the program consisted of 1 semester of courses and 1 semester of rotations (for credit only) -so I don't know if this even counts.

I never thought that I would consider any other career... until now. Now that I review the application process, I am concerned that my poor GPA might impact me negatively in the application process.

Any thoughts?

Guest UofA man

I did my pharmacy degree at UofA as well and do the competiveness my marks were not as strong as they should have been. I decided to apply to Australia where they look at both your marks and MCAT equally it seems, and when you get an interview that is weighted equally as well. As for your marks most of the schools have a weighted system in which your last year is weighted higher and the first year will not count at all. I have been accepted to Flinders in Australia. As for Canadian schools every school has different criteria and one may match up to your own.

Archived