Premed 101 Forums

Claiming IB/AP transfer credits

Guest PerfectMoment

Guest PerfectMoment

Heya,

What do you know of the use of transfer credits in determining full course loads. For example, at the University of Manitoba, I believe, claiming your transfer credit for that year (in my case, year 1) and taking only 24 credit hours will still be looked on as a full course load by the UofM med school. As well, English(which is the transfer credit in my case) is NOT factored into the accumulated GPA as it would be if I were to take a regular English course.

How is it like for other schools? I'd like to know because I don't want to jeopardize my chances at other schools simply because i claimed credit and did not take a full course load for my first year. Would it be better anyway to be taking the course, just to get good practice for the WS of the MCATs?

Thanks

Guest Lactic Folly

I wouldn't risk it.. if a purpose of the full course load is to see whether you can handle 10 courses in an 8 month period, then I'm not sure that using transfer credit will achieve this. On our transcripts, the transfer credit is noted separately from the list of courses we took at the university, and I know you don't put IB credit into OMSAS when filling out the application, so you won't have a full course load there, nor at other schools likely. The use of transfer credit is that you don't have to take the course over again if you don't want to. It made my schedule a whole lot flexible in terms of the options I could take (more room to take courses I enjoyed, but still in the context of a full course load each year).

Archived