Premed 101 Forums

Autobio essay - Doubts about medicine

Guest moetheshmoe

Guest moetheshmoe

I was just wondering do you think it would be unwise to state in my autobio essay that I had doubts about whether to pursue studies in medicine? Do you think it shows I may not be committed as someone else, who states they've always known they wanted to be a doctor since they were a kid?

As long as you STILL don't have doubts...and can show that you have 'resolved' all of your uncertainty.

You do not want to appear uncertain about medicine as a career.... but many admission committees would prefer that you have at least thought about other careers and decided why you would really like medicine better. The person that has never considered anything else and decided that they wanted to be a doctor when they were 5 years old is not necessarily a great candidate either....

Good luck!

I think it is okay if it helps explain some of the decisions you've made (e.g. what you studied, how you spent your summers). If your doubts lead you to explore an alternative career path, but you found yourself drawn back to medicine, and it is written up well it can actually be a bonus.

Do you think it shows I may not be committed as someone else, who states they've always known they wanted to be a doctor since they were a kid?

I don't think it matters and can tell you I wasn't one of those I-knew-since-I-was-five people. I think the key is to demonstrate you've given your choice to pursue medicine a good deal of thought.

I've been wanting to be a Doctor since I was 5, to be quite honest; however, I did change my mind for a couple months last year to instead by a Math and Science teacher. After that couple of months, I decided being a Doctor would be what's best for me.

Archived