Premed 101 Forums

Optometry

Guest Xine15

Hi!

I am applying to meds this year but I was also considering applying to optometry. There is no separate discussion board for it (although there is one for dentistry!!) but I was wondering what the general impression people have of that profession. I have heard conflicting information about optometry being a rewarding/not rewarding profession in Canada. Any comments?? Is anyone else out there applying to optometry too?

Guest chiapet921

Actually, I was interested in optometry too as well as meds, but realized that it'd be much more difficult to gain admission...in Ont, there's only UWaterloo that offers an O.D. program, and the admission criteria is insane! perhaps it was geared towards the pre-opt program at Waterloo, but I surely did not take most of those classes in my undergrad years...

This is pure hearsay, but I've heard that most optometrists also couple their practise with selling glasses etc. to help with their income...again, this is pure speculation...and from observing my own optometrist...:P

But good luck with whichever profession you finally decide....!

The one thing that has always made me a little leary of optometry (especially the glasses selling segment of it) is that more and more people are getting laser eye surgery and less and less people are in need of glasses. Granted, it will probably be a while before optometrists feel the phenomenon, but in the distant future, perhaps less and less optometrists will be needed. Just a thought,

Megs

True enough - that may affect the retail end of the OD practice, but remember that PRK/Lasik/(likely any up and coming surgical techniques) also increase (or certainly maintain) the need for ODs as they are heavily involved not only in the pre-surgical and immediate post-surgical operations, but also in long-term maintenance and enhancements..

I think the common perception is that once surgery's over, you never need to see another OD or opthalm. - certainly not the case..

(my $.02)

steak

Thanks for the comments all.

I have also noticed a trend (in Montreal at least) where the Opticians actually own the place and run the buisness and they hire an Optometrist.

Another rumour I have heard is that optometrists in Canada can't prescribe medication (even antibiotics for an infection) and that they have to refer the patient to an M.D.. I think they now have the power of prescription in the U.S. though. Can anyone confirm this?? Just curious...

8o

Guest LestatZinnie

yes you'll probably need to sell glasses, or be hired by a glasses store like lens crafters or something. unlike dentistry or medicine i don't think there are many, if any, 'optometry clinics' that just look at the eyes.

you can check out more info about optometry at optometry forum at http://www.studentdoctor.net

apparently it's not a very hot profession in the states, as discussed in the optometry forum. one major disadvantage is that an eye doctor can do everything optometrists do whereas in say dentistry, nobody can touch oral cavity except dentists or OMS surgeons.

however if you're good at selling glasses you can do very well, although it sort of defeats the purpose of becoming a doctor as you'll be more like a sales person. just my opinion.

This is all very biased, but I thought I should pitch in my 2 cents anyhow. My optometrist is a very nice lady, recent graduate from UWaterloo School of Optometry, I believe. She works in her own office, has no associate optometrists and has hired two assistants. She was talking to my parents about how busy the office was, and she wasn't kidding, she's booked with appointments all the way to 2007! I guess she wouldn't be having to supplement her income by selling glasses as she does not have any at her office. It's a quaint little office with 2 exam rooms and the like. If you ask me, I think optometry as a profession is dependent on demographics, if you work in a large urban area such as Toronto (where I live), you might get much more patients as a result and therefore wouldn't have to become a salesman/optician but rather be able to focus your time and energy doing what you were trained to do. Just my 2 cents :D

Archived