Premed 101 Forums

HELP! Ph.D/Masters/?? Advice Needed

Guest starzwo

Guest starzwo

I am completing my last year of a B.Sc. degree in Ontario and I'm in need of some advice!

Year 1/2 were write-offs GPA wise, last year I wised up and ended up with a 3.7. I'm on the same path this year - so I should end up with something similar. I've written the MCAT twice without much success, barely meeting the minimum requirements.

I'd decided to do a Masters in Science for 2 years and then re-apply to Meds. But now I've been offered the opportunity to do a 4-year Ph.D. program.

I'd always said that I was going to do either an M.Sc or a Ph.D after I got in to Meds - so that I could "open more doors" career wise and be competitive.

So my problem is whether I should do a M.Sc. for 2 years, or do a 4-year Ph.D. program. Ultimately I want to end up in Meds, and 'getting in' is not going to be easy so I am curious about the value of both degrees in the admissions process.

Can anyone please please please help me?! Thank you!

Kelly.

The advice I'm about to give you is based on my experience. I did an undergrad, had great marks, but didn't want to go to med school so I went to grad school. I intended to do a PhD from day one, but applied for a Masters program since I didn't know what to expect. Let me tell you, I am SO thankful I did that, because after my first year of grad school I realized I really am not cut out to be a scientist. I had planned to finish my Masters in two years, but science is so unpredictable and unreliable, and with a few other issues like recalls on the cells I'd used to do all my experiments, etc, etc, it ended up taking 3.5 years for a lousy MSc. There were people in my lab that took seven years to get a PhD, and they worked hard. Doing research is really hard. I would suggest applying for a MSc and then if you love research, switch to a PhD program. If you hate science, at least you can stick it out and get a Masters. If you were to drop from a PhD to a Masters that may not be looked upon favourably by the med schools. Ultimately it's up to you, but if you really want med school, and you apply for a PhD program, it will be a really long road. Hope this helps.

Guest blinknoodle

You might want to check, but even if you enroll in the PhD program and you find out it isn't for you, you could probably still finish your research earlier and just get an MSc.

One of my friends looked into doing that at Carleton, so I'm not sure if that's true for other universities.

-blinknoodle

Guest soapyslicer

Here is my 2 cents worth!

If you go into a MSc and really like it, after the first year you can declare a switch and move over to a PhD.

Good Points:

-a way out if: you don't like your supervisor, or the lab or being a scientist, or the politics of it all. As well all of the courses you did towards your MSc count towards your PhD.

Bad Points:

Funding becomes a problem with UGF and timelines if you do not declare before entering your second year so just be aware of your funding requirements.

Do not think you will get through a PhD in 4 years. I know it is the reported standard but I have seen, and been told by many that this is just not the case. Engineering is particularily bad with some well over their six years. Also look at the lab you are going to get involved with. There are issues around publications and exposure that matter to someone doing a PhD that just do not matter to a MSc. As well, how helpful is your supervisor? Many have very active labs with something new to look into or develop but many offer much less. As a MSc your requirments for research are much lower but the experience alone will give you a very strong background.

Sorry I have gone on and on...I handed in my thesis last Friday. I think as a doc your opportunities to do research will only be limited by your location and interest. If you really feel strong about doing a grad degree why not start simple and move on to the PhD if you lilke it.

Again, just my 2cents worth!!

Soapy

Guest LestatZinnie

If you're intent on getting both MD and Masters/PhD, why don't you do a Msc now and then apply for a joint MD/PhD program?

or even just apply to a MD/PhD program now??

Archived