Premed 101 Forums

Globe & Mail and Studentawards.com...

Guest 0T6

I saw that...rather funny. They also list Waterloo's law school as one of the top 10...and I don't believe that they have one of those either!

So, I wonder on what basis they ranked UofT's med programme as the 'best in Canada'...given that they were able to evaluate two non-existant med schools with the same criteria! :lol

Research is such a good thing....

Guest UWOMED2005

Oh well, Maclean's has been missing schools for years and noone has noticed. They didn't rank my undergrad school until last year. . . and it's Canada's oldest (or second oldest) English Speaking University.

Guest UBClebronjames

The University Report Card is a load of @#%$. What it is does to get all those scores and ranks is ask the students themselves. This is why you find Guelph and other universities coming out as #1 in each category over and over again. It is ridiculous and I wouldn't place any creditability on it as a resource for understanding the value of a schools educational experience. At most you can read the individual feelings that students wrote but the ranks are skewed.

My local news cast here in Vancouver ran a report on how low UBC was ranked in certain categories (~#24) and even discussed it with the Univ. President. UBC is a top 2-3 school in the country, in my opinion, and personally if you look at how it is improving its campus (new buildings everywhere) and if you include being close to downtown, and views of the mountain/sea, and lifestyle, it is right up there with the best in North America.

Maclean's is bad enough but this ranking is even worse.

I agree with you that it is not the most reliable of rankings...it is based on student opinion....not facts...and it doesn't claim to be anything other than 'student opinion'... I agree with you that UBC is a good school....but don't kick at some of the other smaller schools...they have lots to offer too....and if you look at some of the categories that Guelph came first in (on-campus food, 'atmosphere', teacher availability outside of class, safety on campus) these are hardly damaging to UBC or any other school's claim to being among the academic elite....but it isn't difficult to imagine why a small school, with lots of old buildings and green space, in a small city would rank highly in areas like atmosphere and safety on campus.

Guelph has the most residence spaces in the country - there are over 5500 students living on campus from a total population of ~15 000 (including part-time and grad students) giving it a very cohesive student community...Guelph runs its own 'break-even' food service program...run primarily by grads of it's own hotel and food administration co-op program....so it isn't surprising to me that food ranked high either given that most other school's contract out there food service operations to for-profit companies like Marriott international....

Bottom line: every Canadian university has strenghts and weaknesses (as stated in the ranking)...don't let the reputation of the big schools prevent you from seeing the merits of some of the small schools and please don't bash at a school that you've never attended...undergrad school, med school or otherwise.

Peace.

Archived