Premed 101 Forums

Part time year

Guest coolguy3650

Guest coolguy3650

I have heard that if you take a part time year, that it may screw up your eligibility for some med schools (I believe for many as long as you have some full years it doesn't matter). Does this mean they don't look at your part time year marks wise, or does it mean that you shouldn't take a part time year at all? My problem is, that if I don't get into med after I complete my degree, I might take some (only 3 or 4) courses the following year. Will I still be eligible to apply to med school after that "fifth" year?

Guest Elaine I

Different med schools look at part time work in different ways. I'm only familiar with Ontario schools.

McMaster - count all courses, regardless if FT or PT

UWO - only look at best 2 years including last year of FT courses (I believe you can take PT courses after that, but they won't look at them)

U of T - if have any years of PT work, they no longer use a weighted GPA, but instead count all courses equally

Queen's - look at either all years, or last two years (if don't meet cut-offs based on all courses) with (I believe) 4.0 courses

Ottawa - only look at 3 years with minimum 5.0 courses

Hopefully, though, you'll get in for 2004, and won't need that "fifth" year! Best wishes!

Elaine

The info posted above about UWO is somewhat INCORRECT.

UWO looks at your TWO BEST FULL TIME YEARS (5.0 full or equivalent undergraduate university level credits between Sept and April, no repeated courses ) from the SAME degree program.

Your GPA in EACH of the years MUST be above the cut off.

UWO NO LONGER LOOKS SPECIFICALLY AT YOUR LAST YEAR....meaning that you do not need to maintain a full-course load in it if you already have two full years that meet the GPA cut-off. (this change happened last year)

UWO really doesn't care if you do part-time years before, after or in the middle of your two full-time years....however, you MUST have the equivalent of 15.0 credits (three full years) completed prior to beginning at UWO.

The marks you receive in any other course taken at any other time, from any school that are not part of your two full years WILL NOT be used for GPA purposes (at all...they do not exist in UWO's eyes...)

Archived