Premed 101 Forums

2 years in 18 months college to university transfer credits

Guest notold

hello

Does anyone know if it is possible to do 2 years worth of courses in 18 months?

I am just starting in January and want to have my degree completed for fall 2005.

Has anyone done this?

what about tri semester universites?

what about courses at 2 universities at the same time?

I have seen here that summer courses dont count?

what about distance courses or OPEN U courses?

anyone else have a college health science diploma put towards university credits?

I am just now trying to decide how to get the most mileage from it.

will i get more credits if I remain science based?

thanks

notold

Western requires you to complete at least 15.0 university level credits (equivalent to three full years of undergrad) before you are eligible to enrol. Of these, at least 10.0 of them must have been completed during a 'full time academic year' - which according to UWO is "5.0 full or equivalent university level courses (with no repeated courses) taken between Sept and April" (ie over 8 months - the traditional university school year) At least one of these years must include at least 3.0 credits that are above the first year level.

Distance ed courses may be counted, as long as they are taken as part of your 'full' course load.

Western does not count any courses not taken during a full time year (ie evening, summer courses, open learning, etc) as part of your GPA.

I have never heard of somebody doing courses at two different universities at the same time for the purpose of getting into med school...although it has probably been done at some point. Just be aware that 5 distance courses from multiple different schools does not equal a full time year in the eyes of most schools.

Good luck!

Thanks aneliz,

I was told by LU that as long as I am doing a BA/BS summer courses count towards the degree.

My year will start in january through the summer and via distance ed then a regular fall/spring year

How could they not count that as long as I am taking a full course load each semster? (asking myself:>))

as for taking courses at 2 different U's i was thinking along the lines of transferring a credit from one to the other or letter of permission in case I was short.

perhaps I should clarify this with NOMS/MAC admissions. ...

Isn't the reason to demonstrate you are capable of full course loads and good grades?

notold

I didn't mean that summer and distance courses wouldn't count towards your degree - they would! But UWO doesn't count summer and distance courses as part of your GPA for admissions purposes.

At UWO you must have two full time years that are each above the cut-off for the year that you have applied. This means that they use your best two full time years for your GPA and the rest of your academic history is ignored in its entirety!

The point of the full time requirements is to demonstrate that you can handle the course load that you will be faced with in meds. The normal undergrad 'full time' course load is 5.0 full credits...at UWO, Med 1's have 10.0 equivalent courses...double the normal undergrad course load!

If you are thinking of transferring credits from one university to another towards your degree, that should be fine. But you will have to submit a transcript from BOTH institutions when you apply...even if the transfer credit is shown on your transcript from the second school. Transfer credits completed in the past can also not be used as part of a 'full time year' that you are completing at the new school...

For example:

If in your first year at the second school you were supposed to take:

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

Calculus

Psychology

and you had a phychology course that you were getting a transfer credit for you could not do this:

Take bio, physics, chem, calculus and count the already finished psych as your 'fifth' - because it is already completed.

You would have to do this:

Take bio, physics, chem, calculus and add another course to make up the course load while counting psych towards your degree requirements as a transfer course.

As for Mac (and likely NOMS), they are a little less stringent with full-time/part-time status...and Mac counts every course you ever did ever to come up with a cumulative GPA... The only thing you will have to be really careful with for Mac is that they are really insistent that you have 10.0 credits beyond the first year level...so count your first year level credits carefully!

Good luck!

hmmmm

I'm doing the first part of my BA entirely via distance. (full course load 30 credits.)

From what I have so far read and gathered info on..as long as you complete 3 years (90) credits they ( in general) don't care how long it took as long as the last 2 years are full course loads. being as i am transferring almost a full year everything i do will be my last 2 years (which I intend to do in 18 months)

don't you think that should demonstrate "some' ability?:eek

anyway i don't think I'll need to take an outside course.

yep thanks!

I am looking only at MAC and NOMS..no MCAT for me!

I was talking to the admissions office yesterday and said to the woman.."one should be granted a credit just for figuring out how to get in and what to take" :rollin oh yes and I'm a med hopeful!

thanks again

notold

• 2 weeks later...
Guest frankie

Ryerson offers a Bachlor of Health Administration program that is structured as a degree completion program. To get in, you require a college certificate / diploma in a health care field, plus two years of experience. You get a four year degree after 22 half courses. I'm using it to apply to med school. (I already had some course work, so I don't need to worry about having a minimum of 30 courses - I do.) The degree is offered as a part time degree, but there are no restrictions to how many courses you take a term, so I'm doing it as full time. It's not a science degree from U of T, but an A average is very possible...

Frankie

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Frankie,

That sounds interesting. I'll take a look at it.

I do have a Diploma in Health Sciences and am starting my BA in January via distance.

It may be something to consider switching to next year as I think my January start will require aother year at any rate.

notold

Guest macdaddyeh

Hey notold:

I know you *really* don't want to do the MCAT (and neither do I) but if you can, Queens also doesn't care what order you do your courses in or at what time (summer, part time etc), so you might want to consider them too if you can bother taking the MCAT?!

Their average GPA for the past few years is pretty decent too at ~3.5.

That said, I know you have your heart set on Mac or NOMS (grrrrrr...Don't you wish they would publish more details!!!!)

Hi macdaddyeh,

Yes I really wish NOMS would publish some updates!

They must do it pretty soon ( I hope):rolleyes

I am actually toying with ( periodically thinking about) the MCAT. I'm in a bit of a spot there though as I have NEVER taken any physics, chemistry or math and I'm not sure if I want to risk taking much chemistry or physics for my BA and blow my GPA. It would be self study and I don't think I can tackle those sciences to study for the MCAT and do a full course load at the same time.:\

If I did do the MCAT it would be for UBC as I am really for the PBL format.

I will see how I adapt to being in school again and may think more about it next year.

Right now my focus is on doing things and taking courses that will appeal to Mac and NOMS while maintaining a high GPA.

I'm thinking of applying for a French language summer bursary program. My French is a little rusty and i believe for those working in the north French is a plus.

I looked at the Ryerson course and it is not "up my alley".

Seems a little "dry" for "my" taste, but thanks for the tip Frankie!:b

notold:smokin

Archived