Premed 101 Forums

calculus

Guest sharibean

Guest sharibean

Ok - I'm getting my honours B.A in Health Studies and Psych but I'm doing the general chems, bios and organic chems too. The one thing that I'm avoiding like the plague is calculus. By not doing this I know I'm ruling out all US schools but, I REALLY can't stand it and I don't want it to completely ruin my GPA.. .Has anyone here not taken calc? Anyone think I really, really should do it?

Shari

Guest RageoftheDragon

Hey,

Lots of Uni's in Canada do not require calculus that I have seen. I can see wishing to avoid it as well, as many people find it painful. Check the pre-req's on Uni websites to make sure. I know it makes no difference at the U of S. I'm fairly sure it doesn't in Ontario either. Good luck.

RotD

I don't think any of the Canadian schools require calculus, but check the websites for sure. I had a year of calculus, and the only school it came in handy at was Western as I could use it as a non-science credit.

None of the Ontario schools require calculus...but it does come in handy for UWO where you need "1.0 full course in a science not related to biology or chemistry" as a pre-req....you can use maths, stats, physics, computer sci or engineering for this...

Guest UTMed07

You can be “mathematically challenged” yet still very successful as a physician... this lovely article (CMAJ, Oct 2001; 165: 1226 – 1237) explains what I mean. Also, it makes the point that you're always going to have an expert to crunch the numbers. Key, in my opinion, is to know when you are out of your depth and have to call the number cruncher.

I don't remember it being a requirement anywhere in Canada I applied. Trust what your instincts tell you.

Those things stated, calculus in itself is useful (especially for understanding stats) and I think the Americans have the right idea. Most Europeans do calculus in high school... and I'm pretty sure that the people who have immigrated from asia can point-out that it is so in asia. As for med school applications... it is one other thing that can be used to assess whether an applicant is good all-round -- I think this is one of the reasons American schools require it.

Guest Bretzkyboy

Actually, I know that the U of A requires intro calculus for their program.

I'm still in highschool planning on entering med school so I know most of the requirements for most of the schools. It doesn't hurt to plan ahead ;)

Glad I could help yah.

Guest sharibean

hey guys - thanks for all your replies. i know that almost all of the candian schools don't require calc, but the US ones require one full year of math. i've decided to take an intro calculus course specifically for the social sciences, even though i did OAC calculus. i got an 86%, but math is just not my strong point. in addition to that, i'm taking a stats course, so i have it covered. the new problem is that ALL the US schools require a full year of physics too....really not my strongest area at all! i'll figure something out i guess.....

:) Shari

Guest Bretzkyboy

Actually to clarify the clarification:) U of A requires 6 credit calc. AND 3 credit Stats, plus 6 credit physics.

So math seems to be important to them.

Guest Bretzkyboy

Sorry all, really sorry, there is NO calculus requirement for U of A, checked my sources, they were both wrong :P. Though Stats and Physics are both there....sorry again for my misconceptions.

Guest mchan86

congrats on getting the 86%

Math and Physics are not my strong point either. My goal is also to get into medicine. Unfortunately math hurts me a lot more than physics (so far). However i'm glad that you raised this question and that it has been pointed out as not a requirement.

Good luck & and best wishes for the future!

Archived