Premed 101 Forums

Work Experience

Hello,

Are there any possible negative implications of not having an actual job, but still having volunteering experience? Also if I got a 3.75 gpa in my first year, do you think it would be advisable to apply in my third year?

Thanks

Depends on which school perhaps..... but assuming your GPA hovers around 3.7 to 3.8 based on your first year projections (which I know may not be the best indicator), your chances may be slim compared to the other 2nd/3rd year applicants whose averages are generally much higher. It also greatly will depend on your MCAT performance, which also has to be quite stellar to gain entry by the third year (this assumes your ECs are strong for this purpose).

I don't know for sure if not having an "actual" job (which I will assume is a paid position) will necessarily count against you, but there are some applications that differentiate "employment" from "experiences" in general. Since you are still young, there's still a lot of potential for you to find some of those in the future. That said, just finding any job isn't convincing, especially if you quit early and aren't really passionate about it.

Keep on fighting for your dreams =D,

- G

Archived