Premed 101 Forums

Taking classes distance ed.

Guest Rome1

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any implications to taking distance ed courses while taking in class courses during Sept-April school year?

The reason i ask is that some grad schools don't accept distance ed courses when counting prereqs. Is this the case at the ontario medical schools?

I certainly cannot answer your entire question, but I am taking at least 2 full semesters entirely via distance. Each will be a full load per semester.(15 credits)Jan-Aug ( 30 credits)

I don't see how they could penalize anyone for doing distance courses but I am only applying to MAC and NOMS (pending their admission criteria.)

Guest Elaine I

I've been told that distance ed courses are counted the same as on-campus courses. I checked at Queen's and Western, and got the same response.

The only issue would be if they were not taken from September to April (some schools will not consider courses taken during the summer as part of your GPA), or were repeated courses (Western won't count repeated courses as part of either the 5.0 required courses, or in your GPA).

Elaine

Any distance education course counted at your university as a normal university credit course, counts. The caveat being, of course, that if it is a summer (or for co-op students, inter-semester) course. Also that you want to make sure you are meeting any "Lab" requirements any schools may have (ie, taking biology via distance ed may not get you the "credit with lab")

Mixing and matching distance ed with in-class courses won't hurt you either, as long as they add up to full-time enrollment. :)

Hi Rome1,

From all these different responses, I'm sure you have realized here that the key really is to look at each school separately, since they all have different ways of determining which prereqs they accept, whether you need to be enrolled each year in 5 courses at a time, whether summer courses are accepted, etc.

You can go to each school's website from a link on their respective forum pages or you can get a great summary of info from the OMSAS website.

Best of luck.

Tirisa

Archived