Premed 101 Forums

terrified...

Guest sharibean

Guest sharibean

Hey everyone,

This is my first time here; I'm glad I've found a place where I can get all my med school anxieties and thoughts out! I'm in my second year doing my ungergrad at Mac. Lately I've been getting soooo worried about achieving my goal of medical school - maybe cause midterms are weighing heavy on me right now. I just worry whether I'm doing enough volunteering and stuff, but mainly I worry whether my grades will cut it. I have about an 88% average - not sure what that converts to on the 4.0 scale...I want this so much. I'm sure many of you will understand. I WANT TO BE A DOCTOR SO BADLY! I've been researching the application process and all the schools since I was 16; I know it inside out, but that makes my aprehensions worse! I currently do the basic hospital vlunteering and I work with a child mentorship program. I've done a few other things in the past, but nothing too out of the ordinary. I work part time too. How do I make myself an exceptional candidate? Any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated :)

See ya!

shari

Guest monksters

Hi there,

I'm sure many of your peers feel the same anxiety.... I don't worry too much about how much you are volunteering but try to have fun with it. But if it stresses you out too much then replace it with some other things that you might enjoy more. Your grades look really good, better than mine in undergrad. But perhaps try to figure out why you have so much fear and anxiety because that may be your biggest challenge right now, much more than getting in to med school. The rest will follow...

Guest monksters

Hi there,

I'm sure many of your peers feel the same anxiety.... Don't worry too much about how much you are volunteering but try to have fun with it. The aim isn't to fullfill hours but rather to fullfill yourself while serving others. I know it sounds corny.. but hey I'm a corny guy=) But if it stresses you out too much then replace it with some other things that you might enjoy more. Your grades look really good, better than mine in undergrad. But perhaps try to figure out why you have so much fear and anxiety because that may be your biggest challenge right now, much more than getting in to med school. The rest will follow...

Hi sharibean,

I just want to encourage you! It sounds like you are doing a great job in undergrad. Remember to take time out and relax and do fun things for yourself, as well. Come interview days in a couple of years, one of the most important things is relaxing, being yourself, and showing your interviewers that you are a whole person who hasn't neglected other parts of her life. So you get the fun job now of just chilling a bit more. Work hard play hard, right? I think getting into med school is a process and a bunch of hoop-jumping. I was really discouraged when I didn't make it in the first year I applied, but I worked on my app a bit more and took a year off and it worked out for me. So don't feel hopeless at all. Keep doing what you are doing!

Megs

Guest UWOMED2005

To address and hopefully alleviate some of your fears, I'd like to point out there are specific GPA conversion tables at the OMSAS website (? http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas ?)

It depends greatly on your grade distribution, but with an 88% you could be looking at anywhere from a 3.7ish to 3.9ish GPA. That's pretty good - those are kinds of marks are definitely in the 'doable' range for med school acceptance.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mchan86

just wanted to wish you luck and best wishes in the future. haha.

i'm 17 right now and in my senior year of h.s.

i also started looking at UNIs and med schools since grade 10!! haha.

lata

+Michelle

Archived