Premed 101 Forums

Mccqe Part 1 Retakers

Maybe see if you can make contact with some IMGs who were successful at matching to residency programs and see how they learned about the canadian system and guidelines. Toronto notes is good for a review but it doesn't teach things well if it is your first time seeing that material. I found case files to be helpful for learning medical content although it is not canadian. Canada Q bank was pretty helpful with their explanations to MCCqe part 1 questions (although I noticed a few of their explanations were wrong). It was most helpful for practicing the public health and ethics questions because you can get through all of them in a few hours.

Should we always stick to canadian guidelines when available ? 

For example, I am currently studying renal artery stenosis ....... there are the ACC/AHA guidelines, European guidelines and the canadian hypertension guidelines CHEP 2015 ............ I have read all 3 of them ......... they are mostly similar but there are some differences ........... should I try to know everything or just stick to the canadian guidelines for the purpose of the canadian exams ?

No need to waste time in reading non-canadian guidelines when canadian guidelines are already available ?

For example, I am currently studying renal artery stenosis ....... there are the ACC/AHA guidelines, European guidelines and the canadian hypertension guidelines CHEP 2015 ............ I have read all 3 of them ......... they are mostly similar but there are some differences ........... should I try to know everything or just stick to the canadian guidelines for the purpose of the canadian exams ?

No need to waste time in reading non-canadian guidelines when canadian guidelines are already available ?

You don't need to be aware of guidelines other than Canadian accepted. For me the problem is: do they ( MCC exam designers) use those guidelines as some of exam sources or not? Because they have not mentioned anything in their reference books and study materials in their website I wrote to them about this and I am waiting for their answer in this regard. 

About Toronto Notes, it is only notes, not anything else. It would be helpful when you have a general basic knowledge that comes during being as a student in the university not just by reading a compacted book (TN) for 2 or 3 months.

Excuse my ignorance please ......... but why would somebody write the USMLE exams if they have already matched to a canadian residency ?

because there are some awesome fellowship opportunities in the US and many of them require you to have written the USMLE. There are also some states that require you to have written all 3 to work there. Writing the USMLE keeps options open.

because there are some awesome fellowship opportunities in the US and many of them require you to have written the USMLE. There are also some states that require you to have written all 3 to work there. Writing the USMLE keeps options open.

Ohh I didinot know you need to write the USMLE exams for a fellowship ! Thank you for letting me know !

By the way do you know if they need Step 1 ? I have no problems with Step 2 & 3 but I don't think I will be able to bring myself to study the content required for Step 1 ......... too boring ........ I don't even why would there be a test for the basic sciences .......... trivial IMO

Focus the most on canadian sources for screening (cervical cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, etc) and more common chronic diseases like hypertension and diabetes. Also focus on the canadian health care system & canadian ethics.  You dont have to learn canadian content for less common things as they dont ask management in much detail and what is done in most countries will be correct for the questions they ask. For example, for finding the cause of a seizure and managing it, you can probably just learn the basics and not memorize some specific canadian algorithm.

Ohh I didinot know you need to write the USMLE exams for a fellowship ! Thank you for letting me know !

By the way do you know if they need Step 1 ? I have no problems with Step 2 & 3 but I don't think I will be able to bring myself to study the content required for Step 1 ......... too boring ........ I don't even why would there be a test for the basic sciences .......... trivial IMO

the requirements for fellowship are program specific. the requirements to work in a particular state afterward are state specific. some states do require step 1. i had a lengthy chat with my academic advisor before i decided to write step 1. i had no interest in writing it but when i saw the list of states she compiled for me that required it to get a license to practice, i opted to do it. it's an unpleasant exam but i wasn't ready to close any doors as a second year med student. i'm bad at predicting my future needs so i wrote the exam. 

• 2 months later...

Hey Everyone!

So sorry for having started this thread and left. It's been brutally busy since July and adjusting to residency has been a struggle at times. Definitely finding it difficult to study as surgical residencies can be long days. 

About 4 days left for me. Definitely scared and wish I had more time but I think the residency helps with the clinical side of things. My lowest point were Psych and CDM. Still don't know how else to improve the CDM part. 

I've done USMLE World questions for ObGYN (which I was weak at), Psych and then some of Peads. I felt their explanations were good. I still feel rusty on Psych and I feel the farther you drift away from medical school the difficult it becomes to remember the tiny details. I'm going to read over TO for Psych and then do some Qbank for CDM portion of it. 

Praying that I will pass through this time. Must admit, it's been demoralizing at times. Hang in there everyone!!

Archived