Premed 101 Forums

Mccqe Part 1 Retakers

Hi there,

I wanted to reach out to all those that unfortunately failed the MCCQE. I've unfortunately failed as well. 411 was my score. It feels terrible (I know). 

Nonetheless I am looking on the positive side of things and am re-writing it in the fall. I wanted to reach out to everyone else and let them know that even though it is a difficult and stressful time that there is hope! We ALL can do this together! 

And so I hope we can motivate each other and update one and other and get through this together! It's only a few months away. I'll be starting my surgical residency so I know it will be tough. But I hope to use this board to get through this rough patch in the upcoming months! I'm being very optimistic and trying to set things straight. I've also scheduled to write the USMLE 2 CK as well and get it out of the way once in for all! 

Thanks everyone!

ps. I remember this board was phenomenally helpful when I had to re-write the MCAT and I hope I can use this as a safe place to vent as I continue forward in the next few months.

I'd strongly recommend using something like the First Aid books for Step 2 CK. I did some review, but mostly just questions from the Q&A book (did 300 or more questions). That was for the purpose of studying for the QE1, and regrettably I didn't even write Step 2 CK. Anyway, it worked out very well for the QE1. I don't think the qbanks that exist for the MCCQE are otherwise all that great. 

i wrote step 2 ck and mccqe1 in the same week. the uworld step 2 ck question bank is SO much better than canada qbank. canada qbank is pretty lousy. doing questions is a great way to figure out where your knowledge gaps are. read the explanation for questions you get wrong (or right) an then look up things that you want to expand on. 

I should just add good luck to all the rewriters out there - you had a bad day, and the shift in grading systems didn't help. I always used to say that test was  bit of a joke - now obviously not so much, and hopefully in round two you will ace the silly thing and move on.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't think canada qbank was all that bad. Sure, it wasn't fantastic and you should supplement with other questions, but it's ok.

But I wouldn't pay for canada qbank though...

that is what I used. Worked for me at least.

Great idea. 

I've started studying Toronto Notes once more. This time, I aim to know it inside and out. Maybe it will be a bit over-kill, but more medical knowledge never hurt anyone. I'm hoping that it will only make me a better resident and a better surgeon in the future. 

Good lucky everyone, and as always, study tips are always welcome. 

From residency perspective, there hasn't been any limits on placing orders or anything. I spent all of Friday doing my best to take care of minor issues on the ward, my orders are going through just fine :) The only punishment of failing this exam is the humiliation and shame. Hang in there, we will get through this.

Glad to hear this hasn't impacted your residency. However, there is no shame in failing, as long as you take a learning lesson away from the experience. Things happen, and if anything, this setback will probably motivate you in the future for part II and the royal college exams.

Prepped a lot for Step 1 during the 2 weeks leading up to LMCC1. Used Uworld for step 1 mostly but also step 2. Didn't specifically prep for LMCC1 except reading about ethics, epidemiology etc from TO notes. Scored quite well on the actual LMCC. I'd say Uworld was a very helpful tool to prep for LMCC as the MCQ sections had similar style of questioning. It's definitely worth the money. 

Dear guys,

I am an IMG and right now I am studying for qe1 as my second try. I used TN 2014 and unfortunately questions were far from what I imagined before the exam: so difficult and confusing options in answers, I got 380. I study again TN and you know that it is hard to understand the issues between the lines and those are usually questions. I find some things hard to understand because most of them are Canadian or western style of approach to the patient. I like to share those in an appropriate group to discuss. Do you know where I can share those questions to find any answers?

For example: page FM17 TN2014, BPH: There is an emphasis on discussing PSA test with some patients before doing that. I have not seen such emphasis on doing or requesting other tests in other situations, what's the reason? please!

Dear guys,

I am an IMG and right now I am studying for qe1 as my second try. I used TN 2014 and unfortunately questions were far from what I imagined before the exam: so difficult and confusing options in answers, I got 380. I study again TN and you know that it is hard to understand the issues between the lines and those are usually questions. I find some things hard to understand because most of them are Canadian or western style of approach to the patient. I like to share those in an appropriate group to discuss. Do you know where I can share those questions to find any answers?

For example: page FM17 TN2014, BPH: There is an emphasis on discussing PSA test with some patients before doing that. I have not seen such emphasis on doing or requesting other tests in other situations, what's the reason? please!

We are very hesitant (especially in FM) to do routine PSA screening in otherwise healthy males 50-70. In fact, new Canadian Family Medicine guidelines suggest that routine screening in this population should not be done anymore, period (the urologists however have a different opinion on this): http://canadiantaskforce.ca/ctfphc-guidelines/2014-prostate-cancer/ 

The reason (in basic terms) is that the risks of false positive results (and subsequent investigations, e.g., prostate biopsy, and complication rates thereof) seem to outweigh potential benefits of early detection, especially when considering number needed to screen on a population level. This is why, at the very least, a frank and open discussion with otherwise healthy (low risk) males between 50-70 needs to occur regarding PSA screening, and generally, family docs are no longer actively offering PSA screening. Again though, this is all within the context of the patient-centered model and what the goals/ideas/understandings of the patient are. Clearly a 55 year old male who watched his father die of prostate cancer at 60 may be very interested in PSA testing - and this is where a clear and careful discussion of risks/benefits need to occur.   

Of course, everything also changes if a patient is symptomatic (e.g., new urinary hesitancy). Obviously then, PSA testing needs to be done and if indicated, referral to urology regardless of the PSA results (positive or negative).

PSA is one of many examples I can think of where their is some subtly in the "correct" approach which unfortunately, you are really not gonna get from a resource like Toronto Notes. The "art of medicine" in Canada, particularly from the patient-centered model, can be quite nuanced and unfortunately, often only comes with having trained in the actual system (which is why I think IMG's can struggle a fair amount of the formal licensing exams).  

Good luck with your exam prep...

We are very hesitant (especially in FM) to do routine PSA screening in otherwise healthy males 50-70. In fact, new Canadian Family Medicine guidelines suggest that routine screening in this population should not be done anymore, period (the urologists however have a different opinion on this): http://canadiantaskforce.ca/ctfphc-guidelines/2014-prostate-cancer/ 

The reason (in basic terms) is that the risks of false positive results (and subsequent investigations, e.g., prostate biopsy, and complication rates thereof) seem to outweigh potential benefits of early detection, especially when considering number needed to screen on a population level. This is why, at the very least, a frank and open discussion with otherwise healthy (low risk) males between 50-70 needs to occur regarding PSA screening, and generally, family docs are no longer actively offering PSA screening. Again though, this is all within the context of the patient-centered model and what the goals/ideas/understandings of the patient are. Clearly a 55 year old male who watched his father die of prostate cancer at 60 may be very interested in PSA testing - and this is where a clear and careful discussion of risks/benefits need to occur.   

Of course, everything also changes if a patient is symptomatic (e.g., new urinary hesitancy). Obviously then, PSA testing needs to be done and if indicated, referral to urology regardless of the PSA results (positive or negative).

PSA is one of many examples I can think of where their is some subtly in the "correct" approach which unfortunately, you are really not gonna get from a resource like Toronto Notes. The "art of medicine" in Canada, particularly from the patient-centered model, can be quite nuanced and unfortunately, often only comes with having trained in the actual system (which is why I think IMG's can struggle a fair amount of the formal licensing exams).  

Good luck with your exam prep...

that one of the drawbacks of studying for the exam rather than studying to practise. All the nuance is lost when you boil it down to A, B, C, or D. 

I appreciate your time and your nice explanation. This would be so helpful while visiting a patient with such problem.

To be a Canadian style physician needs time and energy, they need IMGs but there is no support in the gap of landing and  being accepted into the system. They don't provide correct answers to the questions. Language is another big issue, understanding the purpose of some questions and the their multiple choices becomes confusing during the exam. USMLE exams have some reference resources for preparation that can help candidates, unfortunately for Canada, there is nothing other than TN. It is so brief and condensed. I figured out that every word in the management and prognosis ... sections of diseases in TN could be material of some questions.

Many IMGs have found their way to their goals, I think I can do also.

Anyway, thank you guys for your nice inputs.

Language is another big issue, understanding the purpose of some questions and the their multiple choices becomes confusing during the exam.

Totally agree with this point. As english speaking, Canadian trained students, many people at my school struggled to understand what a few of the questions were actually asking. If CMGs have difficulties, I can only imagine how it might be for IMGs.

Hi everyone,

would you please provide any answer to this question?

CTFPHC Guidelines say that:

for example about Breast canser screening 

• For women aged 70–74 we recommend routinely screening with mammography every 2 to 3 years.

(Weak recommendation; low quality evidence

What's the meaning of Weak recommendation; low quality evidence? Is this important to know in practice ? 

Is the information of this website important to study for exam?

Thank you so much in advance :)

Hi everyone,

would you please provide any answer to this question?

CTFPHC Guidelines say that:

for example about Breast canser screening 

• For women aged 70–74 we recommend routinely screening with mammography every 2 to 3 years.

(Weak recommendation; low quality evidence

What's the meaning of Weak recommendation; low quality evidence? Is this important to know in practice ? 

Is the information of this website important to study for exam?

Thank you so much in advance :)

Here are a couple of definition regarding the quality of evidence.

• High quality— Further research is very unlikely to change our confidence in the estimate of effect
  • Moderate quality— Further research is likely to have an important impact on our confidence in the estimate of effect and may change the estimate
  • Low quality— Further research is very likely to have an important impact on our confidence in the estimate of effect and is likely to change the estimate
  • Very low quality— Any estimate of effect is very uncertain

Canadian taskforce guidelines are usually what we should know.

Here are a couple of definition regarding the quality of evidence.

• High quality— Further research is very unlikely to change our confidence in the estimate of effect
  • Moderate quality— Further research is likely to have an important impact on our confidence in the estimate of effect and may change the estimate
  • Low quality— Further research is very likely to have an important impact on our confidence in the estimate of effect and is likely to change the estimate
  • Very low quality— Any estimate of effect is very uncertain

Canadian taskforce guidelines are usually what we should know.

"Canadian taskforce guidelines are usually what we should know."

- samy

Thank you dear samy.

It means that the patient believes and accepts that they need the medication and feels invested in staying compliant with it.

Since hypertension is often asymptomatic it can be hard for patients to really accept that it needs to be controlled.

Maybe see if you can make contact with some IMGs who were successful at matching to residency programs and see how they learned about the canadian system and guidelines. Toronto notes is good for a review but it doesn't teach things well if it is your first time seeing that material. I found case files to be helpful for learning medical content although it is not canadian. Canada Q bank was pretty helpful with their explanations to MCCqe part 1 questions (although I noticed a few of their explanations were wrong). It was most helpful for practicing the public health and ethics questions because you can get through all of them in a few hours.

Hi there,

I wanted to reach out to all those that unfortunately failed the MCCQE. I've unfortunately failed as well. 411 was my score. It feels terrible (I know). 

Nonetheless I am looking on the positive side of things and am re-writing it in the fall. I wanted to reach out to everyone else and let them know that even though it is a difficult and stressful time that there is hope! We ALL can do this together! 

And so I hope we can motivate each other and update one and other and get through this together! It's only a few months away. I'll be starting my surgical residency so I know it will be tough. But I hope to use this board to get through this rough patch in the upcoming months! I'm being very optimistic and trying to set things straight. I've also scheduled to write the USMLE 2 CK as well and get it out of the way once in for all! 

Thanks everyone!

ps. I remember this board was phenomenally helpful when I had to re-write the MCAT and I hope I can use this as a safe place to vent as I continue forward in the next few months.

Excuse my ignorance please ......... but why would somebody write the USMLE exams if they have already matched to a canadian residency ?

Archived