Premed 101 Forums

imp yrs in university

Guest irapoupsik

Guest irapoupsik

Hi guys,

I have just started my first year at university, and *sigh* I am not doing so well. 8o I am wondering if med schools look at first year in university for the purposes of calculating GPA.:\

And another thing: I know that I'm doing doing well because I'm such a procrastinator, and I am barely motivated to study. Do you guys have any tips on how I can improve my study skills? :|

|I

Whether they look at your first year is entirely dependent on the school...some do, some don't. I suggest that you check the website of the schools that you are interested in to find out the situation at that school.

As for your study skills, most universities operate some kind of 'learning skills' or 'student resource' area. See if you can find one at your school and go check it out. They have lots of info/references for you to read about study skills and styles and can usually offer advice or workshops to help you improve your skills.

Good luck!

Guest sharibean

Hey,

I haveto admit that when I first started, I had little motivation. I knew that I wanted to do medicine but I was in a basic science program that offered little room for my love of the arts and social sciences. After one year of bio, chem, physics and calculus, I decided that if I continued like that, I would never do well simply because my heart wasn't in it. I didn't want to be learning that and I had no drive to do it. Now I'm in a great Health Studies program and I enjoy everything I am learning. Because of that, I'm doing so much better than I did last year. I have a desire for knowledge and it makes everything so much easier. Make sure you're doing something you love. And also, never lose sight of your goal of becoming a doctor. I find it much easier to be up at 2am, memorizing and rememorizing information if I keep in mind that it is all going to take me that much closer to my dream. Hope I helped!

Shari

Guest Spencer

Hey Peoples,

I'm not one to promote these "health studies" or "pre-med" degrees...I think it is the golden rule for med students on this forum to state that where you go for your undegrad and what degree you take has no bearing as to your chances of getting into medical school...med students come from all walks of life...all degree fields. So take something you enjoy and that you are confident you will do well in...cause in the end...GPA does end up finding itself on a composite score of your application. However, if you do believe that pre-medical studies is what you want to do...there is the Health Science program at MAC...Health Sci is also available at UWO, Brock and UofO. Medical Sciences are only offered at UWO, I believe...as an independent undergraduate degree. UWaterloo has their Pre-Opt, Pre-Health program. Life Science is also a famously popular "pre-med" program. If anyone has anymore "pre-med" programs, feel free to add to the list...I'm considering all of these viable options right now...until my average drops below their admission requirements next year :\

Guest purine5

thx Kirsteen,

Wow~i didn't know UT (hmm my college) is actually offering

Health studies but isn't this related with only social sci?

(i have gone through the courses they offer)

Wish UT health studies has more scientific approach.

Guest Spencer

Oooops...forgot to mention that UoGuelph has a biomedical science program. Macleans just ranked UoGuelph as Most Comprehensive University...it deserves it, I know for a fact Guelph spends a lot on student services and they've got a pretty heavy-duty research base.

Yup, I looked through the courses for the Health Studies program at University College at UT...very social science/humanities approach, not so much scientific...that's why I guessed you said it was great prep for Epidemiology. Also, I don't know if I interpreted it properly, but is it a second-year entry program?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I hope you didn't mean to insinuate that Epidemiology is not scientific? :) Actually, many of the courses within the Health Studies program are taught by the UofT Faculty of Medicine, Dept. of Public Health Sciences Faculty. In fact, I took two Health Studies courses during my final B.Sc. undergraduate year and one of them was headed by the Graduate Co-ordinator of my Department. Both of these courses were relatively epidemiological and clinical in nature, as opposed to being rooted within the social sciences. I enjoyed both and they helped to form my path into graduate work within the field of Epidemiology.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Spencer

Hey Kirsteen,

I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway, what I was trying to convey was that Epidemiology is very humanities-oriented as well as being scientific...so no insinuations on my part! I'm glad you enjoyed your the program while you were at UofT...I am still undecided right now! Any tips on how to narrow down the vast number of options? I have everything from University of Melbourne MBBS to BScN at Queens University...HELP!

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there Spencer,

No, no offense taken at all. :) Still, I'd argue that while Epi. isn't hard core lab research, much of it (most especially Clin. Epi.) remains pretty far from the humanities. Perhaps you should check out some hard core Epi. studies within publications such as JAMA, BMJ or NEJM to get a bit of a better feel for what we do. You might end up being a little surprised and liking our type of science.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest dogeatdog12

Hi Kirsteen

I was just wondering about the UNI courses at U of T. I was thinking of taking UNI200 or UNI373. I really don't know what they're like. What's the deal with 3.7 GPA requirement? thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Those are the two courses that I took during my final B.Sc. year. Both offered the opportunity to realistically pull off some very high marks, i.e., 90%+, if you put in the work, although when I took them at least one of the professors was different.

UNI373 was seminar-based and the coursework did not include exams; instead, we had a couple of written assignments (one of which was quite large) and one oral presentation to do. UNI200 did have a midterm and final exam, as well as a number of assignments. It served as a decent introductory course to health studies research. As for the GPA requirement, I'm not sure. I know the courses were pretty tough to get into when I took them; a few hurdles had to be jumped to get into them. You might want to give Dennis Magill a shout at University College and ask.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived