Premed 101 Forums

Just Getting Started...

Guest Meggie Hawkins

Guest Meggie Hawkins

First of all, I just wanted to say hi, and how glad I am that this place exists!

I’m 15, in grade 11 and very interested in a career in medicine after I graduate from high school, but between unsupportive parents, sheltered, passionless guidance councilors, and short, uninformative web pages, I’m completely lost as to how I get there. I’ve spent countless hours pouring over University booklets in the guidance rooms, but I still seem to be unable to put all the pieces of the puzzle together. I know what certain courses in high school I need to complete, and what my minimum grade average should be, but the pieces from the day I graduate high school are still mixed up and missing.

I’m leaning more towards pediatric or something to do with infants and children. I’m also looking at a school in Ontario, where I currently am, or Australia, where I’d love to be.

If anyone knows where to go from here, a little advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Meggie

Guest Spencer

Hey Meggie!

Like you, I am a Grade 11 student in high school and aspiring to become a physician. You've come to right place for guidance, this forum is teeming with the most informative of med students and other gurus who are aspiring to become doctors. I can relate to your sense of helplessness and I know it must feel overwhelming. I had just a month ago, like you, poured over all the undergrad booklets from Ontario in search of a decent undergrad program to no avail. The most important thing to remember right now is that medicine is something you cannot go into right after high school, you will need at least three years of undergraduate education (working towards a Bachelor's degree) before you can apply to medical school, some schools may even require you to have FULLY completed your undergraduate degree before you can apply. So that brings up the question of what undergraduate degree you would like to pursue...truth be told, it doesn't have to be a science-related degree...if there is one piece of valuable advice that the kind souls in this forum have told me, it is that regardless of where you do your undergrad or what degree you take...this will have no bearing on whether you get accepted into med school or not...so pick something you enjoy to do as your undergraduate degree, cause in the end, it is your GPA (marks) that count in the final decision of whether you get accepted into med school! Overwhelming isn't it?

As for the peices after high school? Once you hit Gr.12...at around the end of November, I think...OUAC (Ontario University Application Centre) sends out their applications to Ontario high schools...students recieve this application and rank their choices in degree programs at the universities of their choice...than the universities you apply to will look through your application and decide whether or not to give you an offer of admission. From there, you attend undergrad until you decide its time for you to move on to medical school...or maybe by that time, you may have changed your mind about where you want to go in life! Than comes the long and ardous process of applying to medical school which I won't indulge you with considering you'd probably end up drooling on your keyboard sleeping...but if you want to know the process, you can always ask later!

It's funny you mention Australia...I thought I would be the only person crazy enough to consider such an option. As of next year, I plan to apply to the University of Melbourne, University of Tasmania, Monash University, University of New South Wales and the University of Adelaide's medical schools in Australia for entry in 2006. Australian medical education system starts once you graduate from high school unlike in Canada. Australia is where I want to be too! But don't rush head on into a decision about going to Australia right away. Think things through, even if you are planning to stay in Canada, discovering where and what you want to do takes time...be patient and weigh out the pros and cons of your decision, in the end, you will only be better off knowing that you have made a sound decision about where you're heading off for university...that's a pretty big decision!

Anyway...sorry for the novel response, but I guess desperate situations require desperate advice! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask around...people on this forum are very nice! But from a fellow high-schooler's point of view, I think I can relate very well to your confusion...keep thinking about where you want to go, as next year, you won't have the luxury of time to make an informed decision about where you want to go. Keep thinking like I said, but don't let it overwhelm you, take it one step at a time! Best of Luck, Meggie!

Just a bit of advice for you high schoolers, when I was in your shoes, I wanted to be an accountant, then an engineer, then a physicist, a mathematician and finally I'm a second year med student... So just keep your options open; you may find something you really like in college and forget all about medicine.

Guest jmh2005

Meggie...

I admire your ambition, but you need to take one day at a time. You need at least 3 years of university study to get into medicine in Ontario...talk to your guidance counsellors about program that will prepare you for medicine...ie. sciences/kinesiology/health sciences...start there...find a university and a program that is right for you, something you would do well in and enjoy.

Keep focused, but don't wish your life away...you have your whole life to be a physician and only so much time to truly grow up. Get your licence, hang out with your friends...while you pursue your dreams.

Good luck!

Guest drews97

It's good to have goals, and, indeed, I did want to become a doctor when I was in high school (I'm 1st year Queen's med now) but trust me, no need to get ahead of yourselves! Undergrad can be a lot of fun and you get to meet a lot of cool people and explore your interests. Work hard, keep your goals in mind but remember, you're still at least 3 years away and a lot can change in that time. Good luck.

Archived