Premed 101 Forums

Optometry Student

Hi guys. I am Canadian student and I have been admitted into doctor of optometry program in a US school starting september. My gpa in my undergrad wasn't very competitive (3.5). If I ended up getting a better GPA in the optometry program, would northern ontario med school consider the grades from there? as it is already a doctorate program which could be considered just like how Msc or PhD students are considered when they apply to med school. Are they going to consider by Optometry gpa or only undergraduate? or maybe both? and if both are considered would there be any preference to higher gpa in optometry?     

I already asked this question at ottawa med school forum but just confirming if it is same for all schools. 

It likely changes school to school. With my experience with NOSM though, I'm guessing optometry school will be treaed like a second undergraduate degree. I've heard of people applying to NOSM with chiropractic and other professional doctorates, and their degrees were evaluated as undergrads.

I would email the admissions office though to confirm. My best guess is that your optometry degree will be evaluated as a second undergrad - so no 0.2 GPA boost. NOSM will probably count the highest of your two "undergrads" though.

Archived