Premed 101 Forums

Schools willing to defer?

Guest dddd

Which schools are the most/least open to allowing an an applicant (if accepted) to put off entrance for a year? Are they generally understanding, or is it difficult to do?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I think an ability to defer acceptance at a medical school depends on at least two factors: 1) the school; 2) your reason. Some schools may allow more leeway than others, i.e., they may accommodate a wider range of reasons for an applicant wishing to defer acceptance. These may include: completing an Honours degree; completing a graduate degree; having a child (I've read some stipulations from at least one school that you must have fallen pregnant post-interview, or something along those lines). Some schools may also require that you declare your desire to defer in advance, prior to the selection process, e.g., UBC. On many schools' websites they will include information about deferrals.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest RAK2005

Queen's allows up to 10 deferrals per year for "legitimate" reasons. a bunch of my classmates deferred registration a year to complete masters, finish honours degrees etc.

UWO will not allow you to defer except in very exceptional circumstances...(like you got hit by a bus in July and will not be finished rehab in time to start in Sept) They will not allow you to defer to finish either a grad or an undergrad degree, travel the world, get married, play hockey, etc, etc.

They feel that you should not apply until you are ready to start...end of story.

What do you mean about declaring in advance for UBC Kirsteen? Makes me think it would be taken into consideration before offering an acceptance.

My reason to defer would actually be because of a different job. Sounds strange I know, but I may have an opportunity to do a sort of 'dream job' I never really expected. And if I do it for a year, they'll let me return in summers between med school also. I'd really hate to get into med this year and be forced to decide between the two. I suppose I want the best of both worlds. I'm just not sure how flexible the schools I've applied to are, and I don't want to mess up my acceptance chances by discussing it with the school in advance....might look I'm not comitted or something, which is actually not the case.

Thanks.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there dddd,

First off, is medicine not your "dream job"? :)

As to UBC, take a look at their website for the deferral policy. It used to be fairly explicitly stated on the website that they asked for deferral requests in advance.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest LestatZinnie

ya but for UBC, i think their terms are pretty strict as well...the reasons they listed are like if you're an olympic athlete, or major illnesses, etc. i don't know what's their view towards more whimsical reasons.

Guest justanotherpremed

I hear you. I was also thinking about deferring. That would be to finish my honours degree in australia.

When i got thinking about it, though, I decided that I will not be asking for a deferral. The reason is that there is nothing I would rather do next year than start a career in primary care.

I hope you reach a decision and make the right choice for you...

Archived