Premed 101 Forums

Km And Binding Constant (Mcat 2015)?

medicalchanel

Hi everyone!

I understand that Km is the substrate concentration at which the velocity of the reaction is at half its maximum (vmax/2). However, I'm just confused in biochemistry, when a passage states that a substrate has a Ka (for example) of a certain value for a specific material.

Am I right in assuming that a low value K would mean a decreased binding affinity (and a high K would be increased binding affinity?)

Thank you!

Depends on the context. That's why it's important to read questions and passages very carefully. In receptor/ligand biochemistry, we usually talk about affinity in terms of Ka - the association constant (aka binding constant). Loosely speaking, the higher a constant, the more likely a system is to be found in the state that the constant primarily describes. If ligand A and enzyme B combine into AB: A + B --> AB, then at equilibrium Ka = k(on)/k(off) = [AB]/[A], where k(on) and k(off) are the rate constants for the forward and reverse reactions, respectively. Stated more simply, a higher Ka means that equilibrium favors a higher ratio of receptor-ligand complexes to free substrates.

Now, here's where it's important to consider context. Dissociation constant can be calculated as 1/Ka for the same reaction, but primarily refers to unbound substrates. Thus, a relatively higher Kd describes a greater ratio of unbound substrate to complexed receptor-ligand at equilibrium.

TL;DR: Yes, a relatively lower Ka would imply lower binding affinity.  

Archived