Premed 101 Forums

Second & Dual Degrees

Guest Sinoed

Just a quick question. :) I'm currently working towards a degree in economics but I'm thinking about finishing a 3year minor (Ba Econ) and then enrolling in the second degree program for my fourth year. During fourth year I could finish taking the pre-reqs for Med School and any other courses to complete the BSc Life Sciences. I know that for your best years to count at Western you have to take 3.0 credits at your year level, but does that count for second degrees as well? Are there any other schools that might not favor this? I know a few that factor in your best two years of school, so would that be my best two econ years or my best econ year + my fourth year?

I know that for your best years to count at Western you have to take 3.0 credits at your year level, but does that count for second degrees as well?

This is not entirely correct...

UWO requires that you have 2 full time years (5.0 credits or equivalent) taken between Sept and April. You may not have any repeated courses in either of those two years. There is NO requirement to have 3.0 credits "at your year level" at UWO, however, one of the two years MUST include at least 3.0 credits beyond the FIRST year level (00x level courses at UWO, usually 10x level at other schools.)

In addition, UWO requires that the two best years are from THE SAME DEGREE PROGRAM...So, starting a second degree in your fourth year would not be so wise a move from the UWO perspective. It would not disqualify you, but it would prevent you from counting your last year (4th year) as one of your two best years for GPA purposes. If you have two years that would likely be over the cuts from your 1-3 years, this won't affect you...but if you were counting on using your 4th year to meet the requirements for GPA, you will be in trouble.

Hmmm.. so essentially it would disqualify me from applying for Western, since you need to meet the GPA cuts in EACH of your two best years from the same degree program. Thanks for the reply, I was wondering about that. Its really tough to try to find a happy medium.. I don't know how everyone is entirely able to satisfy the requirements of all of the schools. Anyone know if UWO is the only school I would be disqualified from?

Archived