Premed 101 Forums

Do med schools require Calculus as a pre-req?

Guest confused555

Guest confused555

Hey everyone,

I'm a first year student at U of T scarborough and I just have a question about 1st year calculus. For next semester, I'm signed up for MATA35...which is a half year course... " calculus for life sciences" . I"m not sure if it's a common course at other schools too. UTSC breaks first year calc up into 2 half courses. THe first half is the same basic calc for everyone, and the second half we can choose b/w calc for physical sciences ( which has a reputation of being impossible!) or calc for life sciences

Anyways, I've heard that the life sciences calc course isn't accepted as a med school requirement for calculus. I know it differs from school to school, but am I taking a huge risk by taking this? I've checked U of T"s requirements out and I know that calc isn't even a requirement. BUt for other schools, I don't want to be closing any options. Does anybody know any specifics about this? Hope you understand my question!

I'd appreciate whatever advice about calc possible...b/c i have to make a decision about next semester! Thanks so much!!!!!

Edited the subject to make it more specific and to get rid of the all-capital letters. -Ian

UWO does not have a calculus requirement either...and any math course can be used to satisfy the "science unrelated to biology or chemistry" requirement.

Good luck!

I am pretty sure that none of the schools require calculus. At some schools like Western you can use it as a pre-req for the non-science requirements. You may want to check into this, but I am pretty sure that Western was the only school that looked at my calculus as a pre-req.

Guest Steve U of T

Some American schools do require calculus, and furthermore, they like to see some background in differential equations. You won't get much of a background on differential equations from 1st year calculus for life sciences, probably only separable diff. equations. The calculus for physical science tends to be a little more theoretical, involving proofs rather than problem solving, but I still don't think you'd be learning any more about differential equations that you wouldn't get in the life science version. I'm not sure exactly how much about differential equations American schools want you to know, but 2nd year level calc is probably more than enough (and you may be able to get away with only 1st year calc for life science, but I really don't know since I'm only applying to Ontario schools, none of which require any calculus).

Basically, I'd recommend taking whichever calculus course is most suitable for your program. If you're in a life science program, you'll probably find the calculus for life science most useful in later years (and it's probably easier too).

At some schools like Western you can use it as a pre-req for the non-science requirements

Not true...calculus is a SCIENCE pre-req at UWO....but it falls into the "1.0 credits in a science unrelated to biology or chemistry" category.

You CANNOT use math or stats courses as "non-science" courses at UWO to satisfy the "2.0 credits in arts or social science".

Archived